Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Sandusky Federation of Women's Clubs - MS 228
The records of the Sandusky Federation of Women's Clubs date from 1908 to 1987. The history of this social organization is reflected in the collection which consists of meeting minutes, Executive Board minutes, financial records, correspondence, printed materials, and newsclippings.
The records of the Sandusky Federation were donated to the Center for Archival Collections in March 1982 through the cooperation of Ann Bowers, manuscript curator for the CAC, and J. Steinbrenner, director of the Sandusky Library. The final addition to the collection was made by Viola Winston in July 1987. No restriction exist on the use of this collection and duplication is permitted for purposes of preservation and scholarly research. The collection was processed and the register prepared by Karen Snow, graduate assistant in history, in July 1982, and revised by Marilyn Levinson, Curator of Manuscripts, in July 1987.
One of the earliest women's clubs in Sandusky was the Congregational Ladies Reading Circle which was organized in 1881 with seven members. It grew in membership with forty-one members being listed in 1901. The name of the club was later changed to the Monday Literary Club. The Coterie started in 1895 among the Methodists with twenty-nine charter members. Also in 1895, an Episcopal group formed the 19th Century Club with nineteen active members. Associate members were added soon as more women wanted to join the club. The Presbyterian Study Club or organized at a Sunday School picnic on Johnson's Island during the summer of 1896 with meetings starting in October of that year. Later the group changed their name to the Progressive Study Club. Sandusky Fortnightly was started by a group of Episcopal women during the early part of 1898. They had a program arranged and calendars printed for the first meeting in October 1898. All of these groups became non-denominational within a few years. These were the active study clubs who helped to form the Sandusky Federation of Women's Clubs in 1899, although the Coterie did not sign as a Federation member club until 1901.
A constitution printed in 1901 had Coterie, Catholic Women's Study Club, and the Woman's Christian Temperance Union as member groups in addition to Sandusky Fortnightly, 19th Century Club, Presbyterian Study, and Monday Literary; the last four named being charter members. Other groups which started near this date and later came into the Federation were the 20th Century Club in 1900 and the Art Study Club and Sunshine Society in 1901. The Federation was disbanded on May 6, 1987.
Other the years, several women's clubs joined and left the Federation (see list of member clubs). As stated in the Federation constitution, the object of the organization was to bring into communication with each other the various organizations of women in and out of the city for united effort along lines of general interest and improvement for the betterment of existing conditions in the city.
- Congregational Ladies Reading Circle, 1881-1943
- 19th Century Club, 1898-1943
- Fortnightly, 1898-1987
- Presbyterian Study Club, 1898-1951
- Coterie Club, 1900-1987
- Catholic Women Study, 1901-1953
- Woman's Christian Temperance Union, 1901-1915, 1916-1919
- 20th Century Club, 1903-1943
- Art Study Club, 1905-1954
- Sunshine Society, ?-1987
- Kelly's Island Civic, 1912-1915
- Women's Relief Corps, 1912-1915
- College Women's Club, ?-1987
- Modern Priscilla, 1916-1923
- Business Women, ?-1987
- Mission Circle St. Pauls, 1919-1959
- Child Conservation, 1919-1923
- Huron Study Society, 1919-1925
- Newcomers, 1918-1923
- Women's Chorus, 1918-1921
- Erie County Graduate Nurses, 1921-1925
- 1st Christian Mission, 1921-1927
- U.C.T. Social Club, 1923-1943
- Oheb Shalom, ?-1987
- Alpha Delphian, 1925-1953
- Beta Delphian, 1925-1943
- Camp Fire Guardians, 1925-1929
- Review Study, 1933-1943
- Jr. Federation, ?-1987
- Book Study, ?-1987
- Child Study, 1939-1951
- Child Chapter,1945-1987
- Mother's Forum, 1945-1949
- Newcomers, 1919-1953
- Sandusky City Club, 1947-1987
- Future Citizens, 1949-1951, 1965-1987
- International War Brides, 1919-1951
- Federation of Past Presidents, ?-1987
- Welcome Wagon Association, 1953-1987
- Association of Business Women, 1957-1961
The records of the Sandusky Federation of Women's Clubs document the history of this organization and its members from 1908-1987. Predominately consisting of meeting minutes, Executive Board minutes, financial records, correspondence, printed material, and newsclippings, these records document the growth of women's religious, social, and educational organizations and their impact on the community of Sandusky, Ohio.
This collection, as stated above, contains two sets of minutes, the Executive Board minutes, dating from 1908-1959, and the meeting minutes, which date from 1908-1960 (with final minutes from May 6, 1987). Individually as well as in combination, these records provide an excellent insight into the operation fo the organization. Through both executive and open discussions and votes on various issues one can decipher the opinion of not only the women's clubs, but also that of Sandusky in general for the time period covered.
Although somewhat sparse and covering a lesser amount of time, the correspondence, both incoming and outgoing, documents the interaction between the member clubs of the Federation as well as the communication between both the State and General Federations and the Sandusky Federation of Women's Clubs.
Through the years, club members took care to document the history of the Federation. These interesting records, which are for the most part undated, state various aspects of the Federation development. Complementing these are history of many of the Federation's member clubs.
Completing the Collection are many items such as newsclippings, financial records, and many printed materials which further document the Federation's various projects and events.
EXECUTIVE BOARD MINUTES
Consists of date of meeting, committee reports, projects undertaken, proposals voted on and election results. 1953-1959 included with meeting minutes.
PAST PRESIDENT'S CLUB
One record book consisting of the minutes of the Past President's Club of the Sandusky Federation of Women's Clubs.
Includes date of meeting, members present (numbers), motions voted on, election results, committee reports, and some newspaper clippings, Student Loan Fund Committee file.
CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS/RESOLUTIONS
1899-1958 (scattered), n.d.
Includes original written as well as printed copies of the constitution and bylaws of the Federation and also the constitution of the Past President's Club. Included are a few resolutions passed by the Federation.
Includes Golden Anniversary Membership Book, with names of members of the Federation and the clubs with which they are associated, and undated list of officers/delegates from member clubs.
1941-1944, 1946-1964 (scattered), n.d.
Includes incoming correspondence from other federated clubs as well as from the State and General Federations.
Consists of outgoing Federation correspondence to other organizations and government agencies and also memos from one club member to another in cases such as resignation.
ANNIVERSARY GUEST LIST
February 28, 1958
Consists of names of guests at the 60th anniversary and the member club with which they were associated.
Arranged by subject
Consists of histories of the Federation, its projects, and its member clubs, written by various club members.
POEM - COLLECT FOR CLUB WOMEN
A poem written by Mary Stewart for the Federation Club Women.
SCRIPT - YOUTH CINEMA CLUBS OF AMERICA
Consists of a fifteen minute script covering the formation of the Youth Cinema Club, their activities, and how to join the club.
Consists of financial statements and annual budget appropriations of the Federation as well as a few statements from member clubs.
October 1932-May 1987
Contains records of payments made, bank balances, deposits, and withdrawals of the Federation.
1937-1965 (scattered), n.d.
Consists of loose newsclippings concerning club members, events, meeting, and civic affairs, and two scrapbooks of clippings.
Award and attendance certificates for Viola Wonnell.
YEARBOOKS/PROGRAMS - SANDUSKY FEDERATION
Includes name of officers, committees and member clubs, calendar of year's events.
December 1951, Fall 1966
Consists of a publication covering the activities of the Ohio Federation of Women's Clubs as well as the various district clubs.
October 1943, February 1949, September 1956-March 1962
Consists of a bulletin of Ohio Federation of Women's Clubs' activities, meeting, proposals, and members.
CALL FOR CONVENTION
1948, 1949, 1953
Contains information on the annual convention (state and national) as well as a schedule of daily events.
LEGISLATION DAY BROCHURE
1950, 1964, n.d.
Includes agenda information of day's activities for district and state conference.
- Executive Board minutes, September 1908-February 1916
- Executive Board minutes, October 1924-April 1932
- Executive Board minutes, October 1938-July 1945
- Executive Board minutes, October 1945-August 1949
- Executive Board minutes, October 1949-April 1953
- Past Presidents record book, April 1951-October 1966
- Meeting minutes, March 1908-March 1917
- Meeting minutes, October 1917-March 1928
- Meeting minutes, October 1928-February 1940
- Meeting minutes, March 1940-April 1944
- Meeting minutes, October 1944-April 1953
- Meeting minutes, October 1956-April 1960
- Meeting minutes/Executive Board minutes, October 1953-October 1959
- Meeting minutes (Final), May 6, 1987
- Student Loan Fund Committee file, n.d.
- Constitutions and bylaws/resolutions 1899-1958 (scattered), n.d.
- Officers/Delegates list, n.d.
- Golden Anniversary membership book, February 1949
- Incoming correspondence, 1941-1944
- Incoming correspondence, 1946-1949
- Incoming correspondence, 1950-1952
- Incoming correspondence, 1953-1964 (scattered)
- Incoming correspondence, n.d.
- Outgoing correspondence, 1941-1962, n.d.
- 60th Anniversary guest list, February 28, 1958
- Histories of Federation, n.d.
- Histories of member clubs, n.d.
- Poem - Collect for Club Women, n.d.
- Script - Youth Cinema Clubs of America, n.d.
- Financial statements, 1938-1945
- Financial statements, 1946-1952
- Financial statements, 1953-1958
- Financial statements, 1959-March 1963
- Financial statements, April 1963-October 1985
- Treasurer's records, October 1932-February 1941
- Treasurer's records, February 1941-May 1987
- Newsclippings, 1937-1948
- Newsclippings, 1949-1953
- Newsclippings, 1959, 1961, 1962, 1965, n.d.
- Scrapbook, 1951-1963
- Certificates, 1954-1964
- Yearbooks/programs, 1957-1960, 1971
- The Buckeye, December 1951, Fall 1966
- Bulletin, October 1943, February 1949, September 1956-March 1962
- Call for Convention, 1948, 1949, 1953
- Legislation Day brochures, 1950, 1964, n.d.
- Scrapbook, 1958-1960
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy