Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
Immaculate Conception Catholic Church (Ottoville, Ohio) - MS 217 mf
The records of Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, 1858 - 2001, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in October 2001, with the cooperation of Father Anthony A. Borgia of Immaculate Conception Catholic Church.
The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, marriages*, and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.)
This register and this collection was prepared by Jennifer Golis in November 2001.
*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
In 1845, the Miami-Erie Canal through Ottoville was completed. This brought a lot of German settlers to the town. The Catholics among the settlers had to attend Mass in Delphos, seven miles away. In this same year the priest of Delphos, Otto Bredeick, purchased forty acres of land from the government for use by the Catholics in Ottoville. Some of the acreage was set aside for the church building and the rest of the land was sold for the benefit of the church. On this remaining land a small frame church was built. It was completed in 1850. When the church was built, Immaculate Conception Catholic Church became a Mission of Delphos.
In 1860, a second church was completed. This was a large, gothic style church that was built to accommodate the growing number of members. In 1861, the Mission of Ottoville was transferred to Fort Jennings. In 1864, the parish received their first resident priest, Father Anthony J. Abel. Father Abel saw the need for a larger church and in 1885 the parish completed their third and present church. It was a large, magnificent gothic style church.
Over the years, the congregation has grown steadily and the church has been renovated. Because it was primarily a German-speaking congregation, prayers and sermons were said in German until 1921.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. Northern Ohio - West Section Missionary and Parish History. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1984. Pages 177 - 180.
- Baptisms, 1858 - 1900
- Baptisms, 1900 - 1917
- First Communions, 1921 - 1985
- First Communions, 1986 - 2001
- Confirmations, 1880 - 1922
- Confirmations, 1922 - 1985
- Confirmations, 1988 - 2001
- Marriages, 1860 - 1920
- Deaths, 1865 - 1984
- Deaths, 1985 - 2001
Roll 2 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptisms, 1917 - 1945
- Baptisms, 1945 - 1961
- Baptisms, 1961 - 1984
- Baptisms, 1981 - 2001
- Marriages, 1921 - 1955
- Marriages, 1956 - 2001
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy