Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. Nicholas Catholic Church (Frenchtown, Seneca County, Ohio) - MS 195 mf
The first part of the St. Nicholas Catholic Church Collection was transferred for microfilming in June 1997. It consists of three ( 3 ) baptismal registers, two ( 2 ) first communion and confirmation registers, one ( 1 ) death register, one ( 1 ) marriage register and one ( 1 ) record book containing death, marriage and baptismal records. Inclusive dates for the first part of the collection are 1856-1985. Researchers should note that in the past, Frenchtown's postal address has been variously at Berwick, Adrian, and New Riegel. Finally, some of the earlier records in the collection are recorded in Latin.
The second group of records of St. Nicholas Catholic Church, 1979 - 2002, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, in April 2002, with the cooperation of Reverend Conrad Sutter of St. Nicholas Catholic Church. The records on this added roll are an update to the original filming.
The collection consists of baptisms*, first communions, confirmations, marriages* and deaths. Due to inconsistencies in pagination and transcription of data, researchers are encouraged to refer to all volumes within each series. (See order of microfilming for a detailed list of these records.)
This register and this collection was prepared by Rachel Diegel in April 2002.
*There is a seventy (70) year access restriction on baptism and marriage records. No restrictions apply to the remainder of this collection.
In 1856 French speaking members of a German parish in New Reigel received permission to break off and form a separate congregation. Mass was held in private homes at first. Around 1856 a log chapel was erected for temporary use. In the fall of 1856, the first resident pastor, Father Louis Molon, was appointed. In late 1856, a second church was built across from the old log chapel and was in use by the spring of 1857. The first school was built by Father Joseph Gloden in 1872. In 1890 a third church was completed due to a need for a larger church. After completion the parish suffered a loss of members, which brought membership down to less than sixty families. By 1915 only two French families remained in the church.
Mossing, Lawrence A. S.T.D. History of the Diocese of Toledo. General History P rior to and after its Establishment in 1910. Diocese of Toledo. Toledo, Ohio. 1985. Pages 129 - 131.
- Baptismal Register, 1856-1867
- Baptismal Register, 1867-1920
- Baptismal Register, 1920-1924
- Marriage Register, 1867-1938
- Death Register, 1867-1938
- First Communion & Confirmation Register, 1867-1935
- First Communion & Confirmation Register, 1939-1985
- Record Book (Includes marriages and deaths), 1939-1981
Roll 2 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Baptismal Register, 1925-1938
- Baptismal Register, 1939-1978
Roll 3 (RESTRICTIONS APPLY)
- Record Book, 1979-2002
- First Communions
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy