Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
Port Clinton Literary & Social Club - MS 176 mf
The records of the Port Clinton Literary and Social Club (1881-1980) were loaned to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, for microfilming in June 1981. The collection was transferred by Ann Bowers, Curator of Manuscripts, Center for Archival Collections, with the cooperation of Mary Jane Zeis, Port Clinton, Ohio.
The records of this organization consist of minutes, programs, membership rolls, correspondence, literary productions, and news clippings. Literary and property rights of the microfilm edition have been dedicated to the public. The collection was processed and the register drafted by Ann Bowers in June 1981.
The Ladies Social Club was formed in Port Clinton, Ohio, in 1881 for the "mutual improvement" of its members and to "aid the poor of the village." In reaction to their husband's secret lodge meetings, these women created a secret initiation ritual and designated the officers with such names as the "Superb Expounder," the "Assistant Expounder," and the "Guard." From the beginning, these women enjoyed a few hours of social interaction each month with an anti-gossip rule being strictly enforced. Later these ritualistic trappings were dropped and study topics were introduced along with a name change--the Port Clinton Literary and Social Club. Study topics included the history and literature of various countries, U.S. History, the Bible, and American biography and humor, as well as the reading of various literary works.
Civic projects also were undertaken by this Club including the establishment of a public drinking fountain (1895), a public restroom (1910), and the public library (1908). The Club also was instrumental in organizing a sister literary group in Oak Harbor (1882) and the Lakeside Federation of Women's Clubs (1894). Today this organization could well be the oldest literary society still in existence in the State of Ohio. Histories of the Club written by members are included in the collection and provide much detail on its early years.
The records of the Port Clinton Literary and Social Club (1881-1980) provide a complete history of the establishment and operation of this organization. The minutes (1881-1973) include information on programs held, officers elected, rules enforced, civic projects undertaken, and new members initiated. Histories of the Club written by members between 1893 and 1939 provide interesting and delightful insights into the rationale behind organizing the Club and its yearly activities.
The correspondence (1889-1980) illustrates the strong ties of the Club with its sister organization in Oak Harbor and with former members who have moved away from Port Clinton. The annual programs, as well as papers, a poem, and a speech written by members for programs, provide information on the types of programs held and topics studied throughout the Club's long history. A few scattered news clippings (1891-1980) complete the collection and again provide information on programs and projects.
January 19, 1881-May 16, 1973.
Includes members present, business conducted and votes taken, election of officers, programs, discussions, books read, new members received, financial reports, tributes to deceased members. Also contain dues records.
Contains constitution and by-laws, order of exercise, membership list, oath of office, standing rules.
Contains members names, dues paid, and dates with financial reporting (listing of expenses and receipts) in back.
1938, 1950, n.d.
Contains rules by which club governed and revisions.
1889-1980, n.d. (scattered)
Contains reports from Oak Harbor Club, letters from members who have moved.
Contains histories of club written by members.
1902, 1930, 1931, 1934, n.d.
Arranged by title.
Papers, a poem, and a speech given by members at club meetings.
Printed program of year's activities, officers, and programs.
SCRAPBOOKS, SCRAPBOOK MATERIALS
Clippings on programs held by Club.
Contains daily journals of her trips to Italy and Alaska
No specific arrangement.
Contains newspaper and magazine clippings and photographs concerning primarily friends and family and their activities.
- Minutes, January 19, 1881-December 20, 1882
- Minutes, January 17, 1883-January 21, 1891
- Minutes, January 21, 1891-July 1902
- Minutes, September 1902-May 1908
- Minutes, June 1, 1908-June 15, 1916
- Minutes, August 16, 1916-June 20, 1923
- Minutes, September 19, 1923-June 20, 1945
- Minutes, September 19, 1945-December 16, 1959 (to June 1956)
- Minutes, September 19, 1945-December 16, 1959 (beginning June 1956)
- Minutes, January 20, 1960-May 16, 1973
- President's book, 1891-1906
- Roll Book, 1923-1959
- Constitutions and by-laws, 1938, 1950, n.d.
- Club song, n.d.
- Correspondence, 1889-1980, n.d. (scattered)
- Biographical Sketch of deceased member, Mrs. Buzzell, n.d.
- Histories of the Port Clinton Literary and Social Club, 1893-1941 (scattered)
- "A History of the Churches of Port Clinton," Mrs. Frank Mackey, 1934
- "Lewis and Clark Expedition," Mrs. Marshall, 1930
- Poem about the club, n.d.
- Port Clinton Library--historical background, April 4, 1944
- Speech of M. G. Sloan, July 16, 1902
- "Women of the Old Testament," Mrs. C. S. Wheaton, February 18, 1931
- Annual Programs, 1891-1980
- News clippings, 1891-1980 (scattered)
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy