Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church (Stony Ridge, Ohio) - MS 165 mf
The records of St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Stony Ridge, Ohio, were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, with the cooperation of Michael Sibberson in February 1981. The collection (1869--1980) consists of membership registers including records of baptisms, confirmations, marriages and funerals; congregational and council meeting records; financial records; Sunday School, Luther League and Women's Missionary Society records; and, miscellaneous material on building drives, dedications and church histories.
The register for the St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church collection was compiled by Ann Bowers, Curator of Manuscripts, in February 1981.
The St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Stony Ridge, Ohio collection (1869-1980) provides the researcher with a great quantity of statistical information on membership activities such as births, baptisms, confirmations, marriages and funerals through the record series, the parish register (1869-1980). Vital statistical information such as names (where appropriate father's name and mother's maiden name are given), dates, addresses, age and gender are provided within these registers. Administrative history is available through the minutes of the congregational and council meetings (1883-1943), the building committee minutes for the parish house (1938-1939), and the church constitution and revisions (1883, 1934, 1946, 1956). The receipts and expenditures ledger (1895-1933) and special/building fund ledger (1887-1932) provide information on the financial aspects for this church. The early membership and minute records, from 1869 to approximately the 1890s are written in German and thus may pose problems for the researcher.
Organizational records include a Sunday School record (1895-1961) with listings of officers, teachers and pupils; Luther League records (1926-1940) including minutes and financial information; and, the minutes (1938-1961). Completing the collection are cornerstone materials (1899) and church programs and histories.
Arranged by type of registration and within chronologically
Contains membership rolls, records of baptisms, confirmations, communions, marriages and funerals. First volume in German and arranged by family. Last volume also contains annual summaries on membership activities and historical events of church.
MINUTES--CONGREGATIONAL AND COUNCIL MEETINGS
Contains business conducted including resolutions, elections, and pastor's and financial reports. First volume contains constitution establishing the church and is written in German until 1896.
MINUTES--BUILDING COMMITTEE (PARISH HOUSE)
Contains business conducted by building committee including resolutions and financial reports.
OFFICIAL ACTS OF REV. JOHN BORN
Arranged by type of act and within chronologically
Includes Rev. Born's record of baptisms, confirmations, communions offered and collections.
1883, amended 1934, 1946, 1956
Contains articles and amendments establishing the church and its governance.
SUNDAY SCHOOL RECORD
Includes listing of names, grade achieved and date along with listing of officers and teachers and brief history of the establishment of the Sunday School.
LUTHER LEAGUE MINUTES
Includes minutes of meetings containing activities of each meeting, constitution, and membership records.
JESSE THOMAS MISSIONARY SOCIETY MINUTES
April 1938-July 1961
Includes programs and business meetings with elections of officers, motions, promotion of missionary work, financial reports and financial aid given to needy groups.
JESSE THOMAS MISSIONARY SOCIETY MINUTES
Includes attendance reports of members with yearly statistics.
Includes notations on dues payments and financial entries.
Arranged chronologically and by type of collection
Contains amounts given, dates and to what collection. Also includes amounts given or collected with dates for new building and pipe organ along with listing of events leading to new church building with contents of cornerstone.
LEDGER--RECEIPTS AND EXPENDITURES
Contains itemized listing of receipts and expenditures, amounts and dates.
Includes dedication pamphlet and anniversary histories and programs.
- Family Register, 1869-1890s: (record begun in 1869 with earlier dates recorded)
- Parish Register, 1860-1940
- Parish Register, 1940-1953
- Parish Register, 1952-1980
- Congregational Meeting Minutes, 1883-1890: (includes constitution)
- Annual Congregational Meeting Minutes, 1891-1933
- Congregational/Council Meeting Minutes, 1933-1943 (includes a tribute to Rev. John Born and a few entries of membership transfers)
- Building Committee minutes (parish house), 1938-1939
- Official Acts of Rev. John Born, 1886-1927
- Constitution, 1883 (with revisions in 1934, 1946, and 1956)
- Sunday School record, 1895-1961
- Luther League minute book, 1930-1933
- Luther League minute book, 1935-1936
- Luther League financial ledger, 1926-1934
- Luther League financial ledger, 1934-1940
- Ledger--special/building funds, 1887-1932
- Ledger--receipts and expenditures, 1895-1933
- Cornerstone materials/pamphlets:
a) Church Council and Communicant members, 1899
b) Building Committee record, 1899
c) Sunday School record, 1899
d) The Service of Dedication--Sunday School Building and Parish House, September 10, 1939
e) St. John's Lutheran Church--Sunday School Fiftieth Anniversary program, 1945
f) St. John's Lutheran Church--Sunday School Fiftieth Anniversary history, 1945
g) St. John's Lutheran Church Golden Jubilee Celebration program, 1919
h) St. John's Lutheran Church 75th Anniversary Program, November 12-17, 1944
i) St. John's Lutheran Church 7th Anniversary history, November 12-17, 1944
- Jesse Thomas Missionary Society minutes, April 1938-May 1945: (includes constitution)
- Jesse Thomas Missionary Society minutes, June 1945-September 1952
- Jesse Thomas Missionary Society minutes, September 1952-June 1958
- Jesse Thomas Missionary Society minutes, July 1958-July 1961
- Jesse Thomas Missionary Society membership, attendance record, 1938-1945
- Parish Register, 1981-1995
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy