Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Painters, Local 788 (Sandusky, Ohio) - MS 145
The records of Local 788 of the Painters, Decorators and Paperhangers of America, Sandusky, Ohio, date from 1913 to 1978. The history of this local labor union is reflected in three linear feet of meeting minutes, correspondence, agreements, dues registers and financial reports.
The records of Painters Local 788 were donated to the Center for Archival Collections in July 1980 with the cooperation of David Gray, field representative for the Ohio Labor History Project and William Limberios, representative for Painters Local 788. Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and scholarly research. The register was prepared in July 1988, by Susan Hughes, a manuscript processor employed through a grant provided by the Ohio Historical Society.
The Painters Local 788, presently located at 1205 West Perkins Avenue in Sandusky, Ohio, originated in the early 1900s. The national organization began in the 1880s and paid both strike and death benefits to its members. Toledo had a Painters Local as early as 1887 with an early peak membership of 125. Apparently, Local 908 of Fremont, Ohio merged with Local 788 as the collection includes the dues registers for Local 908 for the years 1936-1951. Further information can be obtained by contacting the local union in Sandusky.
The records of Painters Local 788, Sandusky, Ohio, document the history of a local union and its members from 1913 to 1978, with the bulk of the collection concentrated during the 1950s. The collection consists primarily of minutes, agreements and dues registers.
The minutes which include those of regular, special and trial (hearings) board meetings are complete from 1921 to 1958; with the exception of an eight year gap from 1948 to 1955. The minutes are rather sketchy, with the handwritten ones also being difficult to read, and would be more helpful if backed by correspondence. Unfortunately, the correspondence found in this collection is also sketchy, with the majority of the letters dating from 1950 to 1978. The correspondence mostly concerns contract negotiations. The agreements also date primarily from 1950 to 1980 and illustrate negotiations with area contractors and companies.
The bulk of this collection consists of dues registers, dating from 1913 to 1953, which might be useful for statistical studies of union members. Included with these volumes are dues registers from Local 908, Fremont, Ohio, dating from 1936 to 1951.
Includes regular, special and trial board meeting minutes which contain records of motions, reports, members initiated or suspended, newly elected officers and a record of current receipts and expenses.
1936-1937, 1959-1960, n.d.
Arranged by type of series and within chronologically.
Includes a membership listing, applications and a report on membership standing for the local union.
(1947), 1950, 1953, n.d.
Includes copies of the local's bylaws as well as a resolution to amend the bylaws.
Includes correspondence relating to contract negotiations, some financial correspondence relating to dues payments and miscellaneous correspondence.
Arranged by contracting agency and within chronologically.
Contains names of parties to the agreement, articles of the agreement, amendments to the agreement, conclusive dates of agreement and signatures of representatives.
LEGAL CASE FILE.
Copies of legal documents involved in A.V. Lake Steel Corp. vs. Local 788 and Sandusky Buildings and Trades Council regarding picketing and blocking construction site.
1913-1953 (Local 788); 1936-1951 (Local 908).
Includes member's name, date of initiation, age, card number, and amount of dues paid. Some volumes are indexed in the front by member's last name.
Includes monthly financial reports sent to General Offices regarding membership statistics as well as a annual financial report for 1965, which lists expenses and income.
- Minutes (regular and special meeting), 1921-1931
- Minutes (regular and special meeting), 1931-1934
- Minutes (regular and special meeting), 1934-1941
- Minutes (regular and special meeting), 1941-Jan. 1946
- Minutes (regular and special), Feb.-June 1946
- Minutes (regular and special), July-Dec. 1946
- Minutes (regular and special), Jan.-May 1947
- Minutes (regular and special), June-Oct. 1947
- Minutes (regular, special and trial board), 1956
- Minutes (regular, special and trial board), 1957
- Minutes (regular, special and trial board), 1958
- Correspondence-general, 1940, 1941, 1946
- Correspondence-general, 1947
- Correspondence-contract negotiations, 1950-1962
- Correspondence-financial, 1956-1961
- Correspondence-Sandusky Bay Painting Contractors Association, 1962-1967
- Correspondence-contract negotiations, 1968
- Correspondence-Cedar Point negotiations, 1971-1978
- Agreements-Eckler Brothers, Bauman Brothers, 1937
- Agreements-Cedar Point Incorporated, 1963
- Agreements-Cedar Point Incorporated, 1970
- Agreements-Cedar Point Incorporated, 1971
- Agreements-Cedar Point Incorporated, 1977-1978
- Agreements-Painting Contractors of Erie, Huron, and Ottawa Counties, 1950, 1951, 1953, 1954
- Agreements-Painting Contractors of Erie, Huron, and Ottawa Counties, 1956, 1957, 1959
- Agreements-Sandusky Bay Contractors Association, 1960-1961
- Agreements-Sandusky Bay Contractors Association, 1962, 1963-1964
- Agreements-Sandusky Bay Contractors Association, 1965, 1966, 1967
- Agreements-S.L. Stites Tank and Bridge, 1969
- Agreements-North Central Chapter, 1971-1972
- Monthly financial reports, Jan.-May 1954
- Monthly financial reports, June-Dec. 1954
- Monthly financial reports, Jan.-June 1955
- Monthly financial reports, July-Dec. 1955
- Monthly financial reports, Jan.-June 1956
- Monthly financial reports, July-Dec. 1956
- Monthly financial reports, Jan.-June 1957
- Monthly financial reports, July-Dec. 1957
- Annual financial statement, 1965
- Legal Case File-A.V. Lake Steel Company, Dec. 1974-May 1975
- Resolution-to amend bylaws, (1947)
- Bylaws, 1950
- Bylaws, 1953
- Bylaws, n.d.
- Membership applications, 1936-1937
- Membership standing, Nov. 1959-1960
- Membership list, n.d.
- Obligation oath, 1965
- Monthly Bulletin (Ohio State Federation of Labor), Sept. 1947
- Dues register, 1913-1916
- Dues register, 1917-1926
- Dues register, 1927-1931
- Dues register, 1932-1938
- Dues register, 1939-1942
- Dues register, 1943-1946
- Dues register, 1946-1947
- Dues register, 1948
- Dues register, 1949-1950
- Dues register, 1951
- Dues register, 1952
- Dues register, 1953
- Dues register (Local 908, Fremont, Ohio), 1936-1940
- Dues register (Local 908, Fremont, Ohio), 1940-1943
- Dues register (Local 908, Fremont, Ohio), 1944-1947
- Dues register (Local 908, Fremont, Ohio), 1948-1951
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy