Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran Church (Jenera, Ohio) - MS 127 mf
The records of St. Pau'ls Evangelical Lutheran Church, Jenera, Ohio (1868-1994), were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University, Bowling Green, Ohio, with the cooperation of Reverend John Moffett in June of 1995.
The collection consists of six record books which detail the church's membership from 1868 to 1994; three class registers from the church's school dating from 1905 to 1926; six volumes of congregational and council minutes dating from 1869 to 1994; one volume of minutes kept by the church's orchestra from 1915 through 1928; and ten items pertaining to the activities of a women's group from 1907 to 1989. Entries made in any of the volumes prior to 1920 appear in German script.
The story of St. Paul's begins with a small band of German immigrants from the grandduchy of Hesse Darmstadt. Conditions in the home land had become unbearable. Famine, high taxes, and the unpopular compulsory military service made these people look to America for a new home.
On July 4, 1831 a group of 149 men, women, and children left Bremen, Germany on a small British vessel. During the night of September 16th, a terrible storm arose. The small vessel took a terrific lashing. It seemed impossible that they could remain afloat, but when dawn broke they found themselves on a sand reef near the Virginia coast. At daybreak a boat was lowered and a rope was stretched to the shore. All persons were saved. Most of these survivors plus other immigrants settled in and around Van Buren township. During the early years, from time to time, some itinerant pastor would visit the community and administer to them the means of grace.
The first Lutheran pastor who labored in this community was the Rev. Burger 1843-1845. During his pastorate the first class of 24 children were confirmed. Rev. Burger was followed by Rev. Fuerk who was followed by Rev. Schambor. Services were held in home and school houses. Rev. Schambor attempted to have a church built but was unsuccessful. Difficulty stemmed from conflicting religious views of the people.
The first called pastor was Rev. A. Michaelis who assumed his duties on January 31, 1853. A constitution was drawn up and the name given to the congregation was "The Lutheran and Reformed St. Paul Congregation." This arrangement did not prove successful. On November 7, 1853 the Lutheran element organized the St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran congregation. This organization has enjoyed an uninterrupted existence until this time.
The first parsonage was constructed of logs. The third and present parsonage was built in 1916. The first church which was a frame building was dedicated on May 18, 1856. Later this building served as a house for the parochial school and a parish house. It was razed in 1955. The second church whose bricks were burned on the church property, was dedicated September 21, 1884. The east and west walls of this building are incorporated in the present new structure.
The present baptized membership is approximately 425 and the present pastor is Luther A. Muehlbrad.
Source: Jenera Diamond Jubilee, August 5, 1958, Jenera, Ohio. [s.l.: s.n., 1958?]
- Record Book (Entries in German, includes constitution, baptisms, confirmations, communicants, marriages, and burials. Baptisms and burials note birth dates, place of birth and parents' names. Births date back to 1789), 1868-1891
- Record Book (Entries in German, includes membership, baptisms, confirmations, communicants, marriages, burials, and constitution. Membership and baptisms note birth dates and parents' names. Births date back to 1803), 1899-1983
- Record Book (Includes baptisms, confirmations, marriages, burials, new members, and transfers. Burials include birth dates, place of birth and parents' names. Births date back to 1873.), 1965-1995
- Record Book, Communicants, 1928-1964
- Record Book, Communicants and Visitors, 1965-1989
- Record Book, Cemetery Bylaws and Plot Map (Entries written in German), 1902
- Class Register, St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran School (Entries written in part German, part English), 1905-1911
- Class Register, St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran School, 1911-
- Class Register, St. Paul's Evangelical Lutheran School, 1920-1926
- Minute Book, Congregational Meetings (Entries written in German), 1869-1902
- Minute Book, Congregational Meetings (Entries written in German), 1902-1927
- Minute Book, Congregational Meetings, 1924-1994
- Minute Book, Council Meetings, 1950-1956
- Minute Book, Council Meetings, 1956-1962
- Minute Book, Council Meetings, 1962-1973
- Minute Book, Orchestra, 1915-1928
- Minute Book, Ladies' Aid Society (Entries written in German), 1907-1914
- Minute Book, Ladies' Aid Society (Entries written in German), 1914-1920
- Minute Book, Ladies' Aid Society (Entries written in German through July 1920), 1920-1929
- Minute Book, Ladies' Aid & Missionary Society (Name changed from Ladies Aid Society in 1929), 1929-1942
- Minute Book, Ladies' Aid & Missionary Society, 1942-1956
- Minute Book, Women of the Church (Name changed from Ladies Aid & Missionary Society in 1959), 1956-1965
- Minute Book, American Lutheran Women (Name changed from Women of the Church between 1970-1971), 1966-1976
- Minute Book, Today's Lutheran Women (Name changed in 1987 to Women of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America; changed again in 1988 to Today's Lutheran Women), 1983-1989
- Record Book, Ladies' Aid & Missionary Society, 1938-1943
- Constitutions, Today's Lutheran Women, 1980, 1989
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy