Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | Purchasing Microfilm | CAC Homepage|
Wayne United Methodist Church (Wayne, Ohio) - MS 116 mf
The records of the Wayne United Methodist Church were transferred for microfilming to the Center for Archival Collections with the cooperation of Ruth Reynolds and Lyn R. Wineland in December 1992. The Wayne United Methodist Church is located in Wayne, Ohio, previously known both as Prairie Depot and Freeport. At the time of its organization, the church was part of the Findlay Circuit. In ensuing years the church became part of a circuit sharing a minister between Woodville, Elmore, Wayne, and Bowling Green. Researchers should note that the Center for Archival Collections has two additional items, a history of the church from 1834 to 1976 and a membership directory from 1976, in its pamphlets collection.
No restrictions have been placed on the research use of this collection and duplication is permitted. The collection was prepared in January 1993 by Monica Manny.
The collection of the Wayne United Methodist Church consists of fourteen items documenting the period from 1836 to 1962. The first item is a conference record which details the names of ministers and presiding elders as well as which identifies the conferences, districts and circuits of which the Wayne United Methodist Church was a part from 1836 through 1903.
The next four items are record books in which data on the church's members was recorded. These four volumes cover the period from 1842 through 1962 and each contains records of baptisms, marriages, and deaths, as well as lists of pastors, official members, and probationary members. Births were not separately recorded, however. Researchers will find that the date and place of birth was usually noted in the individual's baptism record.
The remaining eight items are minute books and one financial journal which represent the decisions, resolutions, and activities of the church's board and various women's groups for the period form 1896 through 1949. The financial journal is particularly noteworthy as it not only contains entries pertaining to the Aid Society's financial support of church functions but also contains entries regarding the Society's quilting activities. The Board's minute book includes a list of the church's members and a ledger recording the tithes paid by those members for the period from 1919 through 1921. Lastly, the collection includes five newspaper clippings detailing the church's history.
- Conference Record, 1836-1903: Conference, circuit, district, ministers, and presiding elders
- Record Book, 1884-1899: Contains historical notes, pastors listing, membership, baptisms, marriages, and deaths
- Record Book, 1897-1915: Contains historical notes, pastors listing, membership, baptisms, marriages, and deaths
- Record Book, 1842-1950: Contains historical notes, pastors listing, membership, baptisms, marriages, and deaths
- Record Book, 1879-1962: Contains historical notes, pastors listing, membership, baptisms, marriages, and deaths
- Minute Book, Board, 1921-1926: Includes list of members and tithing ledger
- Minute Book, Women's Foreign Missionary Society, 1896-1911
- Minute Book, Women's Foreign Missionary Society, Group Meetings, 1901-1908
- Minute Book, Women's Foreign Missionary Society, 1924-1938
- Minute Book, Ladies Aid Society, 1922-1938
- Minute Book, Ladies Aid Society, 1938-1940
- Financial Journal, M. E. Aid Society, 1922-1934
- Minute Book, Women's Society of Christian Service, 1940-1943
- Newspaper Clippings, 1900, n.d.
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy