Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
American Association of University Women, Bowling Green Branch - MS 89
The records of the American Association of University Women (AAUW), Bowling Green Branch (1938-present) were donated to the Center for Archival Collections, Bowling Green State University in March 1980. The collection was transferred by Ann Bowers, Curator of Manuscripts, Center for Archival Collections, with the cooperation of Helene Weinberger, President of the Branch and the members of the Executive Board.
The records of the Branch (4 linear feet) consist of branch minutes, membership records, correspondence, scrapbooks, annual reports and newsletters, as well as publications and annual reports from the Ohio Division, the Northeast Central Regional Division and the National AAUW. Additional (more current) records will be added to the collection as they are designated inactive by the Branch Executive Board.
Literary and property rights have been dedicated to the public and duplication is permitted for the purposes of preservation and scholarly research. The collection was processed and the register drafted by Ann Bowers in July 1980.
The American Association of University Women (AAUW) was founded in 1882 to pen the doors of education to women and to unite alumnae of different institutions for practical educational work. Today through its program, AAUW enables members to continue their intellectual growth, to further the advancement of women and to discharge their special responsibility to society. The AAUW branch is the basic unit of the Association in a community. The branches are organized by state and regional divisions with the National Office staff (Washington, D.C.) providing guidance to the branches and divisions concerning the study of issues and actions to be taken.
The basic aspects of AAUW include:
- Development of a study-action program under four Topics (chosen each biennium) relating to the basic areas of Association interest-Community Problems, Cultural Interests, Education, and World Problems.
- Presentation of the viewpoint of women university graduates to other organizations, institutions, and government agencies whose concerns relate to the AAUW program; also cooperation with a score or more of national organizations with similar interests.
- Maintenance of a roster of women qualified for public service and support for qualified women for policy-making positions.
- Promotion of professional opportunities for women in higher education.
- Support for a legislative program, voted by members in convention, including items concerning rights of the individual and social, educational and foreign policy.
- Maintenance of a Fellowship Program, which through the AAUW Educational Foundation offers monetary awards to, gifted women scholars.
Specifically, the Bowling Green Branch, organized in 1938, has been an active organization within Bowling Green community life. Administered by an executive board comprised of the officers and chairs of the study topics and interest groups, the Branch holds monthly general meetings, in which programs are offered on various educational, cultural, political, and international topics. The study and special interest groups provide forums for educational discussions and planned actions. Some of these actions which have been implemented in the history of this Branch include recommending children's movies to be shown by area theaters, assisting in the supervising of Civil Defense, local school support, actively supporting BGSU's bid to become an accredited university for AAUW membership, high school scholarships, and cooperation with the League of Women Voters to provide voter education on candidates and issues. Money-raising events have included an annual book sale along with calendar and stationery sales with the proceeds going toward the AAUW Educational Foundation.
The records of the American Association of University Women (AAUW), Bowling Green Branch (1938-present) are fairly complete in regards to branch business. The minutes which document the activities of the executive board as well as the programs, study groups and community service projects are complete from 1938 when the Board was first organized. The minutes also contain all financial records of the Branch. Membership records are complete although found in different formats from 1938. Branch correspondence (1942-1995) regarding membership, speakers and programs, community and fund-raising activities, and actions of the executive board is arranged chronologically, followed by incoming correspondence from the Ohio Division (1969-1983) and the National AAUW (1971-1983). This incoming correspondence basically concerns state and national AAUW projects and programs, constitution and by-laws changes, and the Educational Foundation.
The Branch annual reports to Ohio Division and National AAUW (1951-1984) contain information on membership statistics, programs, study group topics and other yearly activities. The reports are written in a more narrative format until the 1970's when they provide basically statistical information. Scrapbooks (1947-1951, 1960-1963) and news clippings (1944-1946, 1970-1993) provide detailed information on programs held fund-raising activities and community service projects undertaken by the Branch. The Branch Yearbooks (1951-1999) also contain information on officers, membership and programs held each year. The Branch newsletter (1943-1969), by-laws and policy statements (1938-1991), and files on programs and study groups (1943, 1967, 1969-1990) complete this part of the collection regarding Branch business.
In addition to Branch business, the collection contains information on the Ohio Division, Northeast Central Division, and National AAUW. These records, dating from the 1940's to 1985, include annual and biennial meeting programs and reports, newsletters, the AAUW Journal, charters and by-laws, and miscellaneous publications designed to assist the Branches and Divisions. These records follow the Branch records in arrangement and are filed by Division and alphabetically by title of the record series.
ANNUAL MEETINGS/REPORTS (Ohio Division).
1952-1961, 1966-1973, 1975, 1983, 1992.
Includes annual reports of division officers, minutes of annual meetings, financial and membership reports, study group reports, programs for annual meetings.
BIENNIAL CONVENTION PROCEEDINGS/PROGRAMS (Northeast Central Division).
1962, 1970, 1972, 1974, 1976.
Includes speeches, programs, Bowling Green Branch delegates' write-ups.
BIENNIAL CONVENTION PROCEEDINGS/PROGRAMS (National AAUW).
1965, 1967, 1969, 1971, 1977.
Includes reports of national officers, administrative staff, committee chairs, area representatives, staff associates of AAUW and AAUW Educational Foundation. Program contains daily convention activities, resolutions and amendments, legislative program.
DIRECTORIES (Ohio Division).
Includes officer's names and addresses, branch officers and addresses, state division constitution and by-laws.
LEGISLATIVE PROGRAMS (National AAUW).
1971, 1973, 1979-1985.
Includes reports on legislative issues and activities of National AAUW drawn up for biennial convention.
MEMBERSHIP POLICY (National AAUW).
Includes criteria for membership in AAUW.
Includes lists of branch board members and members' names and addresses, degree earned and university attended, and programs offered for the year. Under titles of membership lists, board membership and yearbooks.
January 1938-May 2000.
Includes both board and general meeting minutes from 1938-1946. From 1947 -present, general meeting minutes are not kept; instead meeting activities are documented through newsclippings. Minutes include election of officers and appointment of chairs, programs held, board actions, financial reports, civic and fund-raising projects.
Includes list of members, officers and programs to be held during year.
October 1942-November 1958, December 1968-1983, 1987-1988, 1991-1995
Includes branch correspondence regarding membership, business with other community/civic groups and other AAUW branches, speakers and programs, issues, board activities, illness/death of members.
CORRESPONDENCE (from Ohio Division).
1969-1971, June 1971-April 1977, 1980-1981, 1983.
Includes correspondence involving constitution and by-laws, state projects, fellowship, foundation, programs and issues, speakers, study groups.
CORRESPONDENCE (from National AAUW).
May 1971-February 1978, 1983.
Includes correspondence on resolutions, reports, procedures, projects, lobbying activities of National AAUW.
ANNUAL REPORTS (to Ohio Division).
1967-1970, 1972-1980, 1982.
Includes branch membership statistics, programs, study group activities.
BRANCH PRESIDENT'S ANNUAL REPORT (National/Regional/State Division).
1951-1975, 1977-1982, 1984.
Includes branch membership statistics, programs, study group activities.
GREAT LAKES BASIN TASK FORCE REPORT TO BIENNIAL CONVENTION OF NORTHEAST CENTRAL DIVISION.
Contains report of task force on Great Lakes environment-studies and actions taken-five state project of AAUW state divisions and local branches.
REPORTS ON PROJECTS AND STUDY TOPICS.
1943, 1967, 1969-1981, 1988-1990.
Arranged by topic and chronologically.
Includes projects on abuse of the elderly and AIDS as well as other topics.
CHARTER AND BY-LAWS (National AAUW).
1969, 1971, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1989.
Includes articles on establishment of AAUW, membership criteria, dues, financial reporting, officers and responsibilities, regional, state divisions and branches, nominations and elections.
CONSTITUTION AND BY-LAWS.
Includes articles establishing the branch name, purpose, membership criteria, financial rules, officers and duties, elections, committees, quorum.
1952-1986, 1988, 1991, n.d.
Includes specific rules on branch elections, programs, study groups, dues, guests, remembrances.
SCRAPBOOKS AND SCRAPBOOK MATERIALS
1947-1951, 1960-1961, 1962-1963.
Arranged chronologically (wrapped volumes).
Includes newsclippings and programs on branch yearly activities.
1944-1946, 1970-1993 (scattered).
Miscellaneous news articles on branch activities.
AAUW JOURNAL/GRADUATE WOMAN.
1959-1969, 1977, 1980, 1981, 1983-1985.
Contains articles, information from convention, International Federation of University Women, branch, state and regional division news.
November 1943-November 1969 (scattered).
Includes news of meetings, study groups, activities of members, new members.
November 1941, December 1942, June 1972, June 1974, June 1974, December 1983-June 1985.
Ohio Division newsletter including reports of state officers, branch news, educational foundation.
GENERAL DIRECTOR'S LETTER (NATIONAL AAUW).
Contains information and guidelines for programs, study groups, and committees, Membership and finances aimed at state divisions and local branches.
PUBLICATIONS-MISCELLANEOUS (OHIO DIVISION).
Arranged alphabetically by title.
Includes publications on history of Ohio Division, status of women in Ohio, educational planning/community service, educational foundation (biographical sketches of women honored), promotional brochures and aids to Branches for programming and administration.
PUBLICATIONS-MISCELLANEOUS (NATIONAL AAUW).
Arranged alphabetically by title.
Includes publications on guides for branch leaders concerning leadership, developing power, techniques of good programs, community change, educational foundation and promotional/informational brochures on AAUW and the International Federation of University Women.
1976, 1979, 1983, 1992.
Includes photographs of the Branch members at the Ohio State AAUW Legislative Luncheon in 1979 and a fund-raising project held by WBGU-TV in 1976.
1993, 1995, n.d.
Includes presentation to local branch by Ann Imbrie, tapes produced by national AAUW.
- Minutes, Jan. 1938-May 1941
- Minutes, June 1941-Oct. 1946
- Minutes, Nov. 1946-Nov. 1952
- Minutes, Jan. 1953-May 1957
- Minutes, Sept. 1957-June 1962
- Minutes, Sept. 1962-May 1966
- Minutes, Aug. 1966-May 1969
- Minutes, Sept. 1969-July 1972
- Minutes, Sept. 1972-June 1974
- Minutes, Sept. 1974-June 1976
- Minutes, Sept. 1976-June 1978
- Minutes, Sept. 1978-Nov. 1985, Jan. 1986-September 1988 (missing May 1985 Board minutes and Mar. 1984 general meeting minutes)
- Minutes, October 1988-May 2000
- Board membership, 1938-1959, 1967-1968,1979-1982
- Membership lists, 1941-1959, 1961-1963, 1967, n.d.
- Yearbooks, 1950-1958
- Yearbooks, 1960-1968
- Yearbooks, 1969-1974
- Yearbooks, 1975-1999
- Correspondence, Oct. 1942 - Nov.1958 (scattered)
- Correspondence, Dec. 1968 - Dec. 1975
- Correspondence, Feb. 1976 - 1983, 1987-1989, 1991-1995
- Treasurer's Ledger, 1938-1947
- Treasurer's Ledger, 1938-1962
- Correspondence (Ohio Division), 1969-1971, June 1971 - Sept. 1975
- Correspondence (Ohio Division), Oct. 1975 - Apr. 1977,1980-1981, 1983
- Correspondence (National AAUW), May 1971-Feb.1978, 1983
- Annual Reports to Ohio Division, 1967-1970, 1972-1980,1982
- Branch President's annual report, 1951-1960
- Branch President's annual report, 1961-1975, 1977-1982,1984
- Branch Awards, 1984, 1988
- Treasurer's Report - includes audit, July 1963-June 1980
- Treasurer's Report - includes audit, Sept. 1980-May 1999
- Bowling Green Branch bylaws, 1938-1989
- Bowling Green Branch policy statements, 1952-1979, 1983,1986, 1988, 1991, n.d.
- Newsclippings, 1944-1946
- Newsclippings, 1970-1985, 1991-1993
- Programs/study topic files, 1943, 1967, 1969-1980, 1991-1993
- Signs promoting AAUW book sale, n.d.
- Bowling Green Branch newsletter, Nov. 1943-Nov. 1969
- 50th anniversary luncheon, 1988
- Photographs, 1976, 1979, 1983, 1992
- The Care and Abuse of the Elderly Project Scrapbook, 1980-1981
- The Care and Abuse of the Elderly Project Scrapbook, 1981
- No Not Me Workshop - Assault and Crimes Against the Older Adults, 1988
- AIDS Prevention in Adolescents Scrapbook and Videotape, 1990
- AIDS Prevention in Adolescents Planning, Files, 1989-1990
- Ohio Division-Aids for Branch Programming/Aids Branch Administration, Spr. 1967-Oct. 1965
- Ohio Division Annual meetings and reports, 1952-1961
- Ohio Division Annual meetings and reports, 1966-1969
- Ohio Division Annual meetings and reports, 1970-1973, 1975, 1983, 1992
- Ohio Division Building Branch Programs, 1960
- Ohio Division Bulletin, Nov. 1941, Dec. 1942, 1972-1975, 1983-1985 (scattered)
- Ohio Division Community Survey on Status of Women, 1979
- Ohio Division Directories, 1941-1943, 1944-1947
- Ohio Division Directories, 1950-1959 (scattered)
- Ohio Division - Directories, 1960-1964
- Ohio Division - Directories, 1970-1971, 1972-1974
- Ohio Division - Directories/Yearbooks, 1975-1977, 1978-1984, 1990-1999 (sc.)
- Ohio Division - Educational Background Planning and Community Service, 1978-1979
- Ohio Division - History, 1949, 1974, 1999
- Ohio Division - Educational Foundation - Names Honored, 1975-1976
- Ohio Division - President's Conference Program, July 1976
- Ohio Division - Promotional Brochure 1975, n.d.
- Ohio Division - Silver Anniversary Convention Program/Report, Apr. - May 1949
- Ohio Division - Source Book 1976
- Ohio Division - Techniques of Administration, n.d.
- Ohio Division - Workshop/Intergroup Relations Program, June-July (1949?)
- Ohio Division - Membership Mentors 1982-1983
- Northeast Central Division - Biennial Convention Proceedings/Programs, 1962, 1970, 1972, 1974, 1976
- Northeast Central Division - BG Branch Delegates Report on Biennial Convention, 1970, 1972
- Northeast Central Division - Report on Great Lakes Basin Task Force, Apr. 1974
- National AAUW-Action is Our Bag - a working guide to planned community change, 1969
- National AAUW-Biennial Convention reports 1965
- National AAUW-Biennial Convention reports 1967
- National AAUW-Biennial Convention reports 1969
- National AAUW-Biennial Convention reports 1971
- National AAUW-Biennial Convention reports 1971
- National AAUW-Biennial Convention report 1977
- National AAUW-Charter and By-Laws 1969, 1971, 1973, 1975, 1977, 1979, 1981, 1983, 1989
- National AAUW-Directory for reaching minority and women's groups, 1979
- National AAUW-Directory of officers, staff, committees, Oct. 1974
- National AAUW-Educational Foundation - names honored, 1971-1974
- National AAUW-Educational Foundation - names honored, 1974-1978
- National AAUW - Facts about the International Federation of University Women/Newsletters, 1969, 1979, 1981, 1982, 1983
- National AAUW - Foundation Information 1969, 1970-1983 (scattered)
- National AAUW - General Director's Letter June, Nov. 1960
- National AAUW - General Director's letter, Feb., Apr. Nov., 1961
- National AAUW - General Director's letter, Feb., Apr. Sept. 1962
- National AAUW - General Director's letter, Apr. 1963
- National AAUW - General Director's letter, Feb., Apr., Sept. 1964
- National AAUW - General Director's letter, Feb., Apr., Sept. 1965
- National AAUW - General Director's letter, Feb., Apr., Sept. 1966
- National AAUW - General Director's letter, Feb., Apr., Sept. 1967
- National AAUW - General Director's letter, Feb., Apr., Sept. 1968
- National AAUW - General Director's letter, Feb., Apr., Sept. 1969
- National AAUW - General Director's letter, Feb., Apr. 1970
- National AAUW - Journal, Oct. 1959
- National AAUW - Journal, Jan., Mar., May, Oct. 1960
- National AAUW - Journal, Jan., Mar., May, Oct. 1961
- National AAUW - Journal, Jan., Mar., Oct. 1962
- National AAUW - Journal, Mar. 1963, May 1965, Mar. 1967, May 1969
- National AAUW - Journal/Graduate Woman, Mar. 1977, 1980, 1981, 1983-1985
- National AAUW - Leadership Handbook, 1965
- National AAUW - Leadership Handbook, 1970
- National AAUW - Leadership Handbook, 1977
- National AAUW - Legislative Program Fact Sheet/Program and Resolutions, 1971, 1979-1981, 1981-1983, 1983-1985
- National AAUW - Legislative History and Policy Notes, 1973, 1983
- National AAUW - Membership Policy brochures, 1969-1979
- National AAUW - Power Quotient Bag - Working Guide for Developing Power, 1970
- National AAUW - Promotional Brochures, 1964, 1969, 1970s-1983
- National AAUW - techniques and strategies for successful action program, 1976
- National AAUW - techniques for organizational effectiveness, 1973
- State Attorney General (Ohio) - Task Force on Domestic Violence Report, n.d.
- Backstage at the United Nations/United Nations Decade, 1978, 1975-1985
- National AAUW - Planning calendar, 1978-1979, 1979-1980
- National AAUW - Questions and Answers About Area Representatives, n.d.
- National AAUW - Sampling: Effective Volunteer Projects, June 1979
- National AAUW - Dynamic Learning: Releasing Human Potential, 1973
- National AAUW - Human Potential Catalog: AAUW Projects and Methods for the Learning Implosion, 1974
- National AAUW - Topic Guide, 1975-1977
- National AAUW - Program Guide, 1977-1979
- National AAUW - Program Guide, 1979-1981
- National AAUW - Leader in Action, Fall 1981-Fall 1984
- National AAUW - Action Alert, 1982-1984, 1990
- National AAUW - Branch Leaders Handbook, 1982, 1988
Oversize Box 1Folders
- Scrapbook, 1940-1951
- Scrapbook, 1960-1961
- Scrapbook, 1962-1963
Oversize Box 2Folders
- Videotape-Ann Imbrie presentation, June 1993
- Speaking Out for Justice-AAUW Legal Advocacy Fund, 1995
- AAUW Vision, Voice, Victory, 1993
- The Ohio Coalition for Equity and Adequacy The State's Response to DeRolph: Too Little, Too Late, n.d.
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy