Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Bowling Green Education Association - MS 81
The records of the Bowling Green Education Association document the history of this local professional organization and include minutes, negotiation files and published reports dating form 1954 to 1978. The collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections by Carlton Schooley in August 1979.
There are no restrictions on the use of this collection and duplication is permitted for scholarly research and preservation. The register was prepared by Mike Morell in March 1981.
In April of 1954 the Bowling Green City Teachers' Association held its final meeting and the Bowling Green Education Association was formed to replace it. The BGEA was to be a professional organization for the city teachers as well as a social group. Within the organization, committees were established to handle the multitude of activities and obligations that the BGEA was formed to oversee. From its inception in 1954 to the mid-1960s, the organization concentrated largely on the social and professional activities and acted more as an information dispensing agency than a negotiating organization.
The late 1960s and the 1970s saw a change in the BGEA as it moved from more of a passive to an active role. The BGEA became a negotiating force which attempted to improve financial and job security and increase professional status of teachers. A collective bargaining agent was appointed within the Association to deal with the City Board of Education in negotiation of new contracts. The power of the BGEA became very apparent with the teachers' strike of 1974.
The other purposes of the BGEA were not forgotten and it continued to send delegates to state and national seminars and workshops to improve the professional standing of its membership within the local community. As the needs and priorities of the teaching profession in the City of Bowling Green have changed, the functions of the Bowling Green Education Association also have changed.
The records of the Bowling Green Education Association document the history and evolution of the teaching profession in the city of Bowling Green, Ohio, from 1954 to 1978. The information contained in these records will be most useful to both historians and sociologists. Composed of executive committee and general minutes, negotiations, and a large number of publications, the growth and impact of this organization on the local community and the education system of the area can be seen clearly.
The minutes of the executive committee and the general membership of the BGEA are complete from 1954 to 1975. The provide the researcher with information about the operation of the BGEA on an annual basis. The names of key members of the organization, the committees and their functions, the social activities, the professional activities, and the negotiations with the City Board of Education are all included in the minutes. These combined with the extensive negotiation files document the changes in the education profession in Bowling Green.
A large amount of published research reports by the Ohio Education Association as well as the publications of the BGEA included in the collection document changes in the teaching profession within the State of Ohio. The records of the negotiations over the years and the teachers' strike of 1974 show the impact of the change in the United States. While this collection is not large, it covers a period of history when great changes were being made in the education systems in this country.
CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS
April 20, 1974.
Includes articles establishing purposes, membership, officers and committees, and procedures of this organization.
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MINUTES
August 1954-April 1975
Contains a record of the proceedings of committee meetings, strike information, negotiations with Board of Education, some correspondence, a list of Board of Education members, contracts, and the constitution of the education association.
GENERAL MEETING MINUTES
April 1954-April 1975
Contains a record of salaries, social events, committee meetings, negotiations, strike information, rights and responsibilities of teachers, and fringe benefits.
Includes negotiated agreements between BGEA and the Board of Education on such items as teaching conditions, salaries, and fringe benefits, leaves and grievance procedures.
Arranged by subject.
Contains a record of the various negotiations between the Bowling Green Education Association and the Bowling Green Board of Education on the topics of salaries, fringe benefits, agreements, proposals, counter proposals, timetables, hearing records, strike proposals, counter proposals, timetables, hearing records, strike sheet, correspondence, settlements, impasses, committee reports, legislature voting analysis on education issues, negotiation summaries, and news clippings on the 1974 teachers' strike.
1956/57, 1967/68, October 1968-September 1971.
The newsletter of the BGEA, containing information on social events, professional activities, and notes and articles of interest to the area teachers.
September 1975-June 1978
The newsletter of the BGEA which replaced the Checkmark and contains much of the same type of information plus information on contracts and negotiations.
Includes a collection of materials designed to assist the local association such as the structure of OEA; negotiation methods; negotiating items such as salary, fringe benefits, types of leave, etc., and OEA's legislative functions.
#1020, 1040, 2040, 2071, 4060, 5070, 8020, 8021.
Specific subjects covered in the Educator's Digest which have been expanded and separately published. Subjects include affirmative action, class size, human relations goals, teacher evaluation, in-service planning, and educational accountability.
Arranged by type of academy and chronologically.
Includes programs, proceedings, and articles from leadership academies for presidents and negotiators of local educational associations.
Includes program, proceedings, business conducted, and reports of the OEA state representative assembly.
OEA--NEGOTIATIONS SETTLEMENT REPORT
August 1975-June 1978
Includes county-by-county report of salary schedules and fringe benefits negotiated.
September 1975-June 1978
A newsletter which contains information on leadership and methods for improving administrative skills.
Includes a pamphlet describing the purposes, policies, and resources of the Instruction and Professional Development Division of OEA.
OEA--MISCELLANEOUS RESEARCH DATA
Includes research data on teachers' salaries, negotiating procedures, and devising master agreements.
OEA--CONSTITUTION AND BYLAWS
Includes articles establishing OEA, its purposes, officers and committees, and official procedures.
Arranged by subject and chronologically.
Contains information on teacher's salary schedules and evaluation schedules, financial data of Ohio school districts, and extra pay for extra services recommendations.
BLACK SWAMP UNISERV
Arranged by volume.
This one-page newsletter contains information on a variety of topics of interest to northwest Ohio teachers.
TOLEDO AREA GOVERNMENTAL RESEARCH ASSOCIATION
March-April 1977, March 1978
Three bulletins dealing with the subjects of comparisons of salary scales and fringe benefits in area public schools, area teachers salary schedules, and school costs per pupil.
BGEA STRIKE MATERIAL
Flyers, leaflets, and a chronology of the 1978 strike action
- Minutes--general meeting, April 1954-April 1957
- Minutes--general meeting, May 1957-May 1960
- Minutes--general meeting, October 1960-July 1965
- Minutes--general meeting, September 1965-June 1967
- Minutes--general meeting, October 1967-June 1968
- Minutes--general meeting, September 1968-July 1971
- Minutes--general meeting, September 1971-April 1975
- Minutes--Executive Committee, August 1954-May 1960
- Minutes--Executive Committee, August 1960-June 1966
- Minutes--Executive Committee, September 1966-May 1970
- Minutes--Executive Committee, September 1970-May 1972
- Minutes--Executive Committee, June 1972-April 1975
- Constitution and bylaws, April 20, 1974
- Incorporation papers, 1975
- Master agreements--BGEA and Board of Education, 1969-1974
- Master agreements--BGEA and Board of Education, 1975-1976
- Master agreements--BGEA and Board of Education, n.d.
Box 2Negotiation Files
- Summary of negotiations, 1973-1975
- Strike of 1974--news clippings and fact sheets, May-June 1974
- Impasse report, 1976
- Impasse background information, 1975-1976
- Report of committee to study index for additional duties, 1973-1974
- Advisory arbitration report, 1972
- Committees--miscellaneous, 1976-1977, n.d.
- Salary schedules, 1960-1974
- Proposed salary schedules, 1970-1977
- Correspondence, 1970-1977
- Background information, 1964-1970
- Background information, 1971
- Background information, 1972
Box 3Negotiation Files
- Background information, 1973-1974
- Background information, 1975
- Background information, 1976
- Background information, 1977-1978
- BGEA--Blue Cross/Shield correspondence, 1973-1976
- BGEA--The Checkmark, 1956/57, 1967/68
- BGEA--The Checkmark, October 1968-September 1971
- BGEA--Update, September 1975-June 1978
- OEA--Educators Digest, #0-160, 1970-1971
- OEA--Educators Digest, #200-412, 1970-1971
- OEA--Educators Digest, #500-1175, 1970-1971
- OEA--Educators Digest, #1201-1410.02, 1970-1971
- OEA--Educators Digest, Officers Handbook, n.d.
- OEA--Info-Item, #1020, 1040, 2040, 2071, 4060, 5070, 5080, 8020, 8021
- OEA Leadership Academy--presidents school, 1976-1977
- OEA Leadership Academy--negotiators school, 1976
- OEA Representative Assembly--proceedings and programs, December 1976-April 1977
- OEA Representative Assembly--proceedings and programs, December 1977-May 1978
- OEA--negotiations settlement report, August 1975-June 1978
- OEA--Scope, September 1975-June 1978
- OEA--Instruction and Professional Development Division pamphlet, 1974-1975
- OEA--miscellaneous research, 1972, 1975-1977
- OEA--constitution and bylaws, 1976-1977, 1977-1978
OEA Research Reports
- Teachers' Salary Schedules for Ohio School Districts 1970-1971, October 1970
- Teachers' Salary Schedules and Schedule of Evaluations for Ohio School Districts 1972-1973, September 1972
- Teachers' Salary Schedules and Schedule of Evaluations for Ohio School Districts 1973-1974, September 1973
- Teachers' Salary Schedules and Schedule of Evaluations for Ohio School Districts 1974-1975, September 1974
- Teachers' Salary Schedules and Fringe Benefits for Ohio School Districts 1975-1976, September 1975
- Teachers' Salary Schedules and Fringe Benefits for Ohio School Districts 1976-1977, September 1976
- Teachers' Salary Schedules and Fringe Benefits for Ohio School Districts 1977-1978, December 1977
- Basic Financial Data of Ohio School Districts 1970, February 1970
- Basic Financial Data of Ohio School Districts 1971, February 1971
- Basic Financial Data of Ohio School Districts Tax Data 1972, February 1972
- Basic Financial Data of Ohio School Districts Tax Data 1973, February 1973
- Basic Financial Data of Ohio School Districts 1974, February 1974
- Basic Financial Data of Ohio School Districts 1975, March 1975
- Extra Pay for Extra Services Women's Athletics, 1975-1976
- Extra Pay for Extra Services Athletic and Co-Curricular 1975-1976, October 1975
- Extra Pay for Extra Services Men's Athletics Women's Athletics Co-Curricular 1976-1977, January 1977
- Extra Pay for Extra Services Men's and Women's Athletics 1977-1978, February 1978
- Black Swamp Uniserv newsletter, 1977-78?
- Toledo Area Governmental Research Association Bulletin, March-April 1977, March 1978
- BGEA Strike flyers and printed material, 1978
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy