Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Pemberville Leader Business Records - MS 53
The business records of the Pemberville Leader comprise one cubic foot of correspondence, legal documents, and account books dating from 1889 until 1975. (The bulk of the account and job records date from between 1900 and 1923) Correspondence and legal documents date from the 1950's into the 1960's with a few as recent as the 1970's. William M. Campbell was publisher, editor, and owner from 1945 until 1976.
This collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections March 25, 1976 by Emil Dansker. No restrictions have been placed on the use of the collection for research purposes. Finding aid completed by Eric Honneffer January, 2007.
The collection offers insights into the operation of a small town newspaper, its funding, competition, customer concerns, and the interest of its owner in acquiring other small local newspapers. This is especially reflected in the correspondence and in a written statement by William M. Campbell chronicling his own career and negotiations to purchase the Woodville News.
Includes letters to the editor and miscellaneous correspondence sent by Campbell.
PURCHASE OF THE WOODVILLE NEWS--HISTORY
July 24, 1961
History of William M. Campbell's negotiations to purchase the Woodville News. The document provides details about Campbell's life, work, and the challenges of being in the newspaper business.
1889-1966 (scattered after 1923)
Volumes provide a financial record of the Pemberville Leader, emphasizing advertising accounts
1900-1962 (scattered after 1923)
Record of printing jobs.
Includes subscribers and amounts paid for subscriptions.
MISCELLANEOUS FINANCIAL DOCUMENTS
Can include a balance sheet from 1959, an annual report of profits from 1962, and some sample checks and check stubs from 1929 to 1938.
BILL OF SALE AND ACCOMPANYING DOCUMENTS
April 1, 1953, May 19, 1959, June 12, 1959;
Records of purchase of Genoa Printing Co. by Campbell. Option to purchase and correspondence included.
April 25, 1957; April 18, 1961
Contains contract and cancellation with Super Dollar Markets.
CAMPBELL v. WOOD LAWSUIT
August, 1961-November, 1963
Includes correspondence, request for subpoenas, statements and mutual release document.
- Letters to the Editor, 1948
- Letters to the Editor, 1956-1958
- Letters to the Editor, 1959
- Letters to the Editor, 1961
- Letter to the Editor, Hoesman to Campbell, February 1, 1962
- Letter from Campbell to Owen and Owen, January 25, 1964
- Letters to the Editor, 1964-1965
- Letters to the Editor, 1966
- Letters to the Editor, 1967-1975 (scattered)
- Letters to the Editor, n.d. (c.1961)
- "Negotiations to Purchase Woodville News," July 24, 1961
- Balance sheet, April 9, 1959
- Annual report of profits, April 27, 1962
- Legal Documents--Option to Purchase Woodville News, May 19, 1959
- Legal Documents--Bill of Sale, Genoa Printing Co. to Campbell, June 12, 1959
- Legal Documents--Contract and Cancellation, April 18, 1961
- Legal Documents--Lawsuit, Campbell vs Wood (Genoa Printing Company), 1961-1963 (scattered)
- Account Book, 1889-1893
- Account Book, April, 1908-1915; November 1933-October 1935
- Account Book--Advertisers, January 1918-December 1923
- Account Book--Politicians and Others, May 1934-September 1963 (scattered)
- Account Book--Daily Record, November 1963-December 1966
- Account Book, n.d. (c.1890)
- Job Book (printing record), July 1900-August 1909
- Job Book (with some expenses) March-August 1908 (scattered)
- Job Book September 1909-December 1915
- Job Book January 1916-December 1923
- Job Book (includes parking violations), 1941; 1962
- Job Book of Index (sic) (contacts by location), n.d. (c. 1890)
- Subscribers and Paid Subscriptions, January 1918-March 1923
- Check/Voucher Register, November 1911-June 1921
- Check/Voucher Register, June 1921-January 1935
- Sample Checks and Stubs, February 1929-April 1938 (scattered)
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy