Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Van Wert County Seed Improvement Association - MS 17
The records of the Van Wert County Seed Improvement Association date from 1938-1950. The background of this service organization is reflected in the records, which consist of minutes, correspondence, membership lists, speeches, and financial reports.
The Van Wert County Seed Improvement Association records were transferred from the Van Wert County Courthouse in 1976. The collection was processed and register compiled in 1981.
The purpose of the Van Wert County Corn Hybrid Producers, organized on January 10, 1938, were to aid the members by conducting yield tests; sponsoring educational programs with 4-H Clubs and vocational agricultural departments, and at county fairs; and selling hybrid corn seed. On August 7, 1939, the organization changed its name to that of the Van Wert County Seed Improvement Association, and its purposes were expanded to include all improved agricultural seeds and cooperation with the Ohio Seed Improvement Association.
Further information on this organization was not available at this writing.
The records of the Van Wert County Seed Improvement Association provide information on the business and social activities of its members; however, the incompleteness of the records weaken the research value of the collection. The minutes (1938-1950), correspondence (1944-1950), and subject file materials provide background on the administrative history of the organization including education programs conducted, exhibits planned, and contests supported, all involved with the promotion of hybrid seeds.
Membership lists (1945-1946) and committee duties (1949-1950) provide information on the strength of the Association and how the members conducted business. Financial records, including dues and assessment lists (1942-1947) and financial statements (1944, 1946- 1948), illustrate how the Association's programs were funded.
January 1938-August 1950 (scattered)
Contains members present, business conducted, financial reports, and seed projects and exhibits planning.
Contains member's name and address, and with committee lists, contains responsibilities of each committee.
Contains rules establishing organization including purposes, membership criteria, and election and business procedures.
October 1944-August 1950, n.d.
Arranged chronologically including both incoming and outgoing letters.
Includes correspondence on membership, meeting notices and seed contests.
SEED AND CROP CONTESTS/DEMONSTRATIONS
1946, 1949, n.d.
Arranged alphabetically by subject title.
Includes entry blanks, instructions and announcements of contests, and demonstrations regarding corn and soybean growing contests and fertilizer demonstrations.
SOYBEAN SHOW AND CONFERENCE REPORT
Includes attendance, statistics, publicity, reports of entries, and evaluation recommendations.
AUDIT COMMITTEE REPORT
Report of findings including year's balance.
DUES AND ASSESSMENT LISTS
Includes member's name, amount paid and in what area, and date.
Includes itemized listing of receipts and expenditures, and balance.
SCRAPBOOK AND SCRAPBOOK MATERIAL
One news release describing the fish fry and family night activities of the Association.
Brochure published by the Association describing seeds and those members either selling or using the seeds.
- Minutes, January-December 1938
- Minutes, January-November 1939
- Minutes, January-September 1940
- Minutes, January-December 1941
- Minutes, January-December 1942
- Minutes, January-December 1943
- Minutes, February-August 1944
- Minutes, January-September 1945
- Minutes, March-August 1946
- Minutes, March 1947
- Minutes, January-February 1948
- Minutes, February-October 1949
- Minutes, February, August 1950
- Membership lists, 1945-1946
- Committee lists, 1949-1950
- Constitution and by-laws of the Van Wert County Corn Hybrid Producers, n.d.
- Constitution and by-laws of the Van Wert County Seed Improvement Association, n.d.
- Correspondence, October 1944-August 1950, n.d.
- Corn and soybean growing contest announcements, 1946, n.d.
- Men's Ten-acre Corn Project management record, n.d.
- Nitrogen Fertilizer Demonstrations instructions, 1949
- Official Ballot (blank)--Soil Conservation District Referendum, n.d.
- Ohio Crop Growing Efficiency Project instructions and entry blank, 1949, n.d.
- Ohio Seed Improvement Association exhibit plan, n.d.
- Soybean Show and Conference report, January 1940
- Audit Committee report, 1946-1947
- Dues and assessment lists, 1942-1947
- Financial Statements, 1944, 1946-1948
- News release, October 1949
- Letterhead stationery (blank)
- "Pure Seeds", 1942, 1944-1946
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy