Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Trommer Extract of Malt Company (Fremont, Ohio) - MS 12
The Trommer Extract of Malt Company was established in Fremont, Ohio in 1874, and was located at 117 South Arch Street. The company was named for Professor Trommer of Germany, who was the chemist who formulated the compound. This medicine was brought to the attention of Dr. John B. Rice, of Fremont, while he was an army surgeon during the Civil War. It was Dr. Rice who was able to obtain the formula from Professor Trommer and the rights to sell the new medicine everywhere but Germany. Trommer Extract of Malt was manufactured very similarly to beer. Grain (normally barley) was steeped in warm water to remove the soluble starches.
The firm was open fifteen years before it was incorporated on May 7, 1889. A branch of the Fremont Company was opened in London, England in 1894 and was operated by them for eight years, at which time it was bought by a group of English investors.
The officers at the time of incorporation were as follows: Ed. H. Zurhorst, president; W. S. Lewis, secretary; N. C. Sherwood, treasurer and general manager. The firm became the Trommer Company on April 18, 1900 and in that same year added a new product called Palmiacol.
The Trommer Company closed its doors on November 15, 1933 by order of the Ohio Department of Taxation.
- Letter Press Book--Orders, September 10, 1897-January 19, 1881
- Letter Press Book--Orders, January 10, 1881-April 27, 1882
- Letter Press Book--Orders, May 2, 1882-July 17, 1883
- Letter Press Book--Orders, July 17, 1883-July 31, 1884
- Letter Press Book--Orders, August 6, 1884-April 20, 1885
- Letter Press Book--Orders, August 22, 1887-December 13, 1888
- Letter Press Book--Orders, December 16, 1888-September 9, 1889
- Letter Press Book--Orders of Extract, February 6, 1884-January 20, 1885
- Letter Press Book--Orders of Extract, January 21, 1885-December 29, 1885
- Letter Press Book--Orders of Extract, January 2, 1886-March 14, 1887
- Letter Press Book--Orders of Extract, March 15, 1887-July 30, 1887
- Letter Press Book--Receipts, June 15, 1885-February 25, 1887
- Letter Press Book--Receipts, February 28, 1887-August 1, 1888
- Letter Press Book--Correspondence, January 7, 1881-March 20, 1881
- Letter Press Book--Correspondence, March 22, 1881-June 30, 1881
- Letter Press Book--Correspondence, June 29, 1881-November 4, 1881
- Letter Press Book--Correspondence, November 4, 1881-March 7, 1882
- Advertising Record, May 6, 1878-May 21, 1880
- Bills Payable, January 7, 1878-June 18, 1884
- Notes and Bills Receivable; Notes and Bills Payable, April 4, 1884-October 1, 1884; February 23, 1884-December 20, 1888
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy