Historical Collections of the Great Lakes
|HCGL Manuscripts | HCGL Databases | Reference Services | CAC Homepage|
WILLIAM P. SNYDER (U.S. 209662) Collection - GLMS 92
This seven cubic foot collection is available for reference use at the Historical Collections of the Great Lakes. Literary and property rights were dedicated to the public. Photocopying is permitted for the purposes of conservation and research.
The WILLIAM P. SNYDER, JR. (US 209662) was built by the Great Lakes Engineering Works at Ecorse, Michigan, as Hull 83. The launch date was January 27, 1912. The original dimensions were a length of 590 feet, a width of 64 feet, 2 inches, and a depth of 34 feet, 2 inches. The original tonnage measurements were 8,603 gross and 6,650 net. These figures changed to 8,625 and 5896 after rebuilding work was performed in 1971.
The SNYDER, JR. was named for William Penn Snyder, Jr. Mr. Snyder was born in 1888 at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania and enjoyed a lengthy career in Great Lakes commerce including serving as president of the Shenango Furnace Company and the Snyder Mining Company. Snyder died in 1967.
The Shenango Furnace Company owned the WILLIAM P. SNYDER, JR. for most of its active sailing life from 1912-1967. The Interlake Steamship Company purchased the boat and used it from 1967-1971. The Cleveland-Cliffs Iron Company sailed the WILLIAM P. SNYDER, JR. for the years 1971-1983. The American Bulk Shipping Company of Los Angeles, California operated the boat fro 1983 until it was sent to Port Colborne, Ontario for scrapping in January 1988.
This seven cubic foot collection contains literature used to sell electrical and mechanical equipment to shipping companies operating marine fleets. The items compiled here were acquired between 1932 and 1980 by the succession of chief engineers serving on the WILLIAM P. SNYDER, JR.
Instruction manuals (3 cubic feet) for 1937-1980 provided engineers with technical information needed to effectively operate the valves, gauges, electrical appliances, and other devices used in vessel operations. These manuals were frequently sent to the customers after making a purchase from catalogs such as those in series 2 (3 cubic feet) for 1937-1980. Parts for motors and electrical systems were portions of the merchandise available from these catalogs.
Other sales literature of a briefer form directed customers to the manuals and catalogs (.66 cubic feet), 1932-1979. Oil gauges, pumps, and other engine parts were advertised in these publications.
Log books (.33 cubic feet) for 1957-1980 provided a means of monitoring the equipment purchased for the WILLIAM P. SNYDER, JR. through daily observations of engine and boiler operations. Trip records for fuel consumption and lubrication oil use reflected the effectiveness of the equipment once placed in operation.
Series contains three cubic feet of manuals printed by companies involved in manufacturing equipment and machinery for marine vessels. The items in this series were acquired by the various chief engineers of the WILLIAM P. SNYDER, JR. The type of electrical equipment used on lake boats such as the SNYDER is documented through four decades of publications designed to show vessel engineers how to operate the machinery and appliances manufactured by these companies. Pumps, turbines, and motors are the most frequent subjects of these manuals.
Series contains three cubic feet of sales catalogs printed by vendors of marine vessel electronic and mechanical products. These catalogs were maintained by the various chief engineers of the WILLIAM P. SNYDER, JR. Technological aspects of vessel design can be observed through more than forty years worth of marine product catalogs pertaining to equipment used on the SNYDER and other vessels. Items from plumbing fixtures to engine parts are covered.
Series contains .66 cubic feet of miscellaneous sales literature items regarding equipment for marine vessels. These items were maintained by the chief engineers of the WILLIAM P. SNYDER, JR. The material in these files is of a briefer nature than that found in the manuals or catalogs. Valves, pumps, and other mechanical components of vessels are described.
Series contains .33 cubic feet of log books used on the WILLIAM P. SNYDER, JR. These items were prepared to record data on the boilers and engines during the trips completed each year. Fuel consumption and oil lubrication logs are also included.
Box 1: Printed Material--Instruction Manuals A-H, 1937-1980
- Air Circuit Breakers, 1948-1949
- Air Compressor, 1944, n.d.
- Airetool Tube Maintenance, 1946
- Amp and Volt Meters, 1948-1949
- Bailey 760 Burner Control System, c. 1956-1970
- Bailey 760 Burner Control System, May 1968
- Bailey 760 Burner Control System, 1970
- Bailey 760 Burner Control System, March 1971
- Bailey 760 Burner Control System, April 1971
- Battery Service Manual, 1971
- Bow Thruster, 1963, n.d.
- Bow Thruster Carbon Monoxide Alarm, n.d.
- Bow Thruster Space Vent, 1965
- Bow Thruster Tachometer, 1964, n.d.
- Centrifugal Condensate Pump, 1959
- Centrifugal Pumps--Priming, 1942
- Chemical Analysis of Water, 1963
- Chlorinator, 1960, 1968, 1972
- Clarage Boiler Fans, 1961
- Coffin Centrifugal Pump, 1949-1971
- Coffin Turbo Pump, 1968-1971
- Compound Feed Pump, 1964
- Cooler Pump, n.d.
- Elliott Turbine, 1949
- Feed and Filter Tank, 1947-1949
- Filter Box Controller, ca. 1966
- Flame Safety Lamp, 1971, n.d.
- Fuel Oil Heater Temperature Regulator, n.d.
- Fuel Oil Meter, 1960
- Fulton Temperature Control, 1963
- General Electric Motors, 1946
- Generator, 1942
- Heathkit Assembly Manual for Transistor-Diode Checker, 1967
- Hill Hardware Co., 1977-1980
- Hobart Gallery Equipment, 1963-1977
- Holub Industries Voltage Tester, n.d.
- Hydraulic Jacks, 1977
- Hydrex Pump, 1962
Box 2: Printed Material--Instruction Manuals, I-Q, 1937-1980
- Ideal Electric Generators, 1942
- Indicator Card Analysis, 1961
- Interlake Steamship Co., Fleet Vessel Operations Manual, ca, 1946-1976
- Invertors, n.d.
- Kidde Fire Extinguishing, ca. 1971
- Kingsbury Thrust Bearing, 1942-1949
- Kitchen Appliances, 1962-1977
- Koppers Main Engine Packing, 1953
- Leeds and Northrup Millitemp Indicators and Controllers, n.d.
- Leslie Engineering Data, 1977
- Leslie Valves, 1954, 1957
- Liquid Level Indicators, ca. 1972
- List-O-Meter Equipment, ca. 1960
- Main Engine Work before 1970, 1959-1970
- Main Switchboard Volt Meter, 1978
- Marine Automation Program, 1971
- Marine Service Lubrication Chart, 1971
- Marine Telephone System, 1937
- Marlow Pumps, 1976
- Mason-Neilan Valves, 1941, 1952-1953
- Maytag Dryers and Washers, 1971-1980
- Megger Instructions, n.d.
- Metalbestos Chimneys, 1977
- Metric Practice Gudie, 1975
- Microphor Sanitation Device, 1978
- Milwaukee 3/8" Drill, 1978
- Motor Brushes, 1956
- Motor Controllers, 1959
- Motor Maintenance Readings, 1956
- Motor Report, 1958-1966
- Naval Antenna Spar-Aft, n.d.
- Operations and Maintenance Folder, 1971
- Portable Heaters, 1963
- Power System, n.d.
- Protane Gas Stove, 1950, 1976, n.d.
- Public Health Service, 1971, 1977
- Quincy Air Compressors, 1970
Box 3: Printed Material--Instruction Manuals, R-S, 1937-1980
- Ranco Temperature Controls, 1950
- Reliance Boilers, 1970
- Reliance Levalarm, 1970
- Scrub Machines, 1978-1973
- Seacock Air Compressors, 1971-1976
- Sears Heater, ca. 1970
- Shipyard Megger Readings, 1970
- Skinner Marine Unaflow Steam Engines for Aircraft Carriers, 1942
- Skinner Marine Unaflow Steam Engines for WILLIAM P. SNYDER, JR., 1943-1949
- Soot Blower, 1949-1976
- Sound Powered Telephones, 1966
- Steam Traps, 1973, n.d.
- Stern Tube Grease Gun, 1969, 1974
Box 4: Printed Material--Instruction Manuals, T-Z, 1937-1980
- Temperature Recorders, 1940
- Trans-Sonics Tank Soundings, 1971-1976
- Twin Disc Marine Gear, 1971
- Vent Fans, 1969
- Vulcan Soot Blowers, 1976-1977
- Warren Pumps, 1962
- Washing Machine, 1965
- Water Cooler--Galley, 1978
- Water Softener, 1965
- Water Softener Piping, 1964
- Westinghouse Bowthruster, 1967-1969
- Wilson Hypochlorinator, 1967-1968
- Worthington Pumps, n.d.
- Yarway Water Indicators, 1949-1952
- Yarway Water Level Indicator, 1942-1971
- Zeo-Flow Water Softeners, 1965
- Zimmite, 1960
Box 5: Printed Material--Catalogs, A-L, 1937-1980
- Acousta Sheet, Goodyear, 1977
- Airco General Products Catalog, n.d.
- Alemite Lubrication Equipment, 1955
- American Standard Plumbing Fixtures, 1972-1973
- American Temperature Regulators, n.d.
- Argo International Corp. Buy Log, 1976
- Armstrong Steam Trap Book, 1965
- Armstrong Tools, 1978
- Bearings, Inc., 1972
- Bearings, Inc. Catalog 70, 1972
- Belt and Roller Chain Drives, n.d.
- Brush Data - Ohio Carbon, 1955
- Chesterton Mechanical Packings and Seals, 1973
- Chicago Faucet Co., 1973
- Cleveland Beacon Products Co., n.d.
- Condren Corp., n.d.
- Connelly Brothers Industrial and Marine Supplies, n.d.
- Coppus Blue Ribbon Products, n.d.
- John Crane Marine Sealing Products, 1973
- Dayton Manufacturing Co., n.d.
- Detroit Diesel Engine Division, 1947
- Dresser Consolidated Safety, Relief, and Safety Relief Valves, 1967
- Durant Digital Instruments, n.d.
- EEP/Products, 1976
- Electric Hoists, 1972, n.d.
- Ernst Gage Co., n.d.
- Ernst Gage Co., ca. 1970
- Gamlen Chemical Co., 1959-1971
- Graybar (Catalog #34), 1975
- Graybar (Catalog #35), 1977
- Hancock Valves, ca, 1960
- Hancock Valves, 1967
- Jenkins Brothers Bronze and Iron Valves, 1968
- Jenkins Brothers Valves, 1973
- Keckley Steam and Liquid Control Valves and Strainers, n.d.
- King Instruments, King Engineering Corp., 1968
- Leeds and Northrup Thermocouples, 1976
- Leslie Co., 1976-1978, n.d.
- Leslie-Tyfon Whistles and Signals, n.d.
- Light Bulb and other catalogs, n.d.
- Lorain Communications Equipment, n.d.
- Lorain Communications Equipment, 1957-1958
- Lubricators, Hills-McCanna Force-feed Lubricators, 1937
Box 6: Printed Material--Catalogs, M-R, 1937-1980
- Maintenance Engineered Products, Rotanium Products, Co., 1972
- Maxon Burner Equipment, 1967
- Mechanical Packings and Gaskets, John J. Disch Co., n.d.
- Mechanical Packings and Gaskets, John J. Disch Co., n.d.
- Midland-Ross Marine Type Receptacles, 1975
- Modern Distributors - Industrial Supplies, n.d.
- Morse Power Transmission Products, 1971
- Okadee Valves, n.d.
- Okadee Valves, n.d.
- Owatonna Tool Co., n.d.
- Parker Sales Co., Inc., Buying Guide, 1979
- Pauluhn Electric Manufacturing Co., Inc., Catalog #76, n.d.
- Permatex Industrial Products, 1979
- Plastic Steel and other Devcon Products, 1969
- RR & M (Repair, Rebuilding & Maintenance of Electrical Apparatus), 1970
- R & S Marine Electrical Equipment, 1958
- R & S Marine Electrical Equipment, 1967
- Radiators, 1950, 1977, n.d.
- Rex Power Transmission and Conveying Components, 1974
- Ridgid #173 Tool Price List, 1973
Box 7: Printed Material--Catalogs, S-W, 1937-1980
- Seacoast IEEE-45 Merchant Marine Shipboard Cable, 1967
- Seacoast Radio Frequency Cables, 1967
- Seacoast Special Purpose Navy Shipboard Cable, 1967
- Seacoast Terminal and Stuffing Tubes, n.d.
- Skinner Marine Unaflow Steam Engines, 1947
- Sloan Valve Co. Catalog 750-S, 1971
- Spare Parts List for STR. Wm. P. SNYDER, JR., 1950
- Stanley Air Tools, n.d.
- Stove Drawings, 1945-1952, n.d.
- Swagelock, Whitey, Nupro, Cajon, Sno-Trik Fittings Catalog, 1970-1971
- Swagelock, Whitey, Nupro, Cajon, Sno-Trik Fittings Catalog, 1977
- Terry Turbine Ballast Pump, n.d.
- Tools, 1963-1980
- Trerice Temperature and Pressure Instruments, 1950
- Trerice General Catalog, 1964-1971
- Trerice General Catalog, 1964-1972
- Valves Catalog 60, Lunkenheimer Co., 1960
- Velan Steam Traps, n.d.
- Robert H. Wagner and Son, n.d.
- Ward Leonard Electric Co., Inc., 1978
- Ward Leonard Electrical Controls, 1978-1979
- Ward Leonard Resistors, 1975
- Warren Pumps - Stripping and General Service, n.d.
- Water Unit Heaters, Modine Manufacturing Co., 1975
- Westinghouse Light Bulb Catalog, 1971
- Wilson Maintenance Tools, n.d.
- Wright Tool and Forge Co., n.d.
Box 8: Printed Material--Sales Literature, A-Z, 1932-1979
Log Books, D-M, 1957-1980
- Airetool Bulletin No. 58, n.d.
- Allpox Extension Gasket Cutter, n.d.
- Bailey Air Compressors, 1965-1970
- Bailey Meter Co. Arrangement of Modules, n.d.
- Bearings News, 1979
- Belzona Molecular Metal, n.d.
- Bilge Pump, 1932-1959, n.d.
- Bill of Material, Engine Co. 11971, 1949
- Bill of Material and Specifications - Automation, 1952-1971
- Boiler Hydro Test Pump, 1964-1971
- Boiler Room Air Compressor (Quincy), 5 1/4 x 3 x 3 1/2, n.d.
- Carbon Monoxide Alarm, n.d.
- Cook TFE Piston Rings and Packings, n.d.
- Copes-Vulcan Feedwater Regulators, 1975
- Copes-Vulcan Furnace Probe, 1977
- Copes-Vulcan Soot Blowers, 1973-1976
- Copes-Vulcan Soot Blower, n.d.
- Copes-Vulcan Wall Deslogger, 1974
- Corning Glass Works, 1970
- John Crane End Face Shaft Seals, n.d.
- John Crane Mechanical Packings, n.d.
- John Crane Shaft Seals, n.d.
- Darling Valve and Manufacturing Co., n.d.
- Jno. J. Disch Co., n.d.
- Drew Chemical Co. Marine Bulletin, 1976
- Drew Chemical Corporation, 1977
- Epoxo Non-Skid Safety Coating, n.d.
- Exxon Marine Conversion Tables and Charts, 1978
- Fafnir Ball Bearings, n.d.
- Fireye Smoke Density Indicator, n.d.
- Fisher Controls Co., n.d.
- Fisher Level-Trols, n.d.
- Fuel Charts, 1972
- General Electric Kinamatic Motor, 1955-1964
- General Electric Service Shops, n.d.
- General Electric Servicemen, 1978
- Hatch Crane, 1945-1950, n.d.
- KIP Insecticide, n.d.
- List of Meters & Switches on Main Switch Board, 1949
- Lube Oil Report, 1955
- Main Switch Board - Breakers, Shunt Contractors & Switches, 1940-1950
- Manzel Lubricator, 1969, n.d.
- Mobil US Marine Port Directory, n.d.
- Rheostats, Ward Leonard, 1976
- Sanitary Pump, 1943-1956
- Seacoast Navy Shipboard Cable, 1967
- Shipside Controls/Deck Winches, 1970-1971
- Smoke Indicator Drawings, 1936, n.d.
- Stanley Focus on Industry, n.d.
- Super Mite 71 Selecting Relay, n.d.
- Trerice Condensed Catalog, n.d.
- Wood and Spencer Tap Guide, n.d.
- Zimmite Mud Remover, n.d.
- Drew Ameroid Marine Boiler Logs, 1972-1979
- Drew Ameroid Marine Boiler Logs, 1976-1980
- Drew Ameroid Marine Boiler Logs, 1980
- Fuel Reports, 1977-1978
- Fuel Reports, 1977-1979
- Fuel Reports, Trips 1-20, 1979
- Inventory Book, Chief Engineer, 1975-1976
- Lube Oil Trip Report, 1976
- Master Machinery Index, n.d.
- Mobil Engine Oil Test Results, 1957-1971
- Motor Readings, 1976-1979
- Motor Records, 1967-1971
- Motor Record Sheets, n.d.
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy