Center for Archival Collections
|Reference Services | Manuscripts by Subject | CAC Homepage|
Toledo Choral Society Collection - MS 670
The Toledo Choral Society is a performance group based in the Northwest Ohio and Southeast Michigan region. The Toledo Choral Society Collection consists of meeting minutes, membership lists, scrapbooks, printed materials, programs, reports, photographs, and financial documents relating to the history and functions of the society. The material within the collection dates back to the Society’s origin, 1919, and continues to the present time (2013). More material is expected to be accrued as the Toledo Choral Society will send new material to the CAC as they see fit. As of July 2013, the collection consists of approximately 10.5 linear feet.
The collection was donated to the Center for Archival Collections by the Board of the Toledo Choral Society December 7, 1993. Access to the collection will be provided to the Toledo Choral Society upon request at any time. There are no restrictions on the materials. Duplication of the material is permitted for the purpose of preservation and research. This register was compiled by Annie Rose Land, Library Associate I, July 2013.
The Toledo Choral Society (TCS) was established in 1919. It is thought that the roots of TCS started in 1869 when the Toledo Mendelssohn Union was formed by H.O. Hahn (conductor) and C.O. Brigham (president). In 1879 the group changed their name to the Toledo Vocal Society with Mr. Mathias as the conductor and W.H. Currier as the president. The history following these groups is not clear, however, and there is no direct lineage known to TCS, just supposition. In 1919, Mary Willing founded the present Toledo Choral Society and served as the Society’s conductor for 35 years until her retirement in 1954. The Society is known for their annual performance of Handel’s Messiah which they have performed every year since 1919. The Toledo Choral Society boasts nearly 100 members who come from all over the Northwest Ohio and Southeast Michigan region. The group prides itself on a membership that is diverse in ethnic and cultural heritage, religious backgrounds, and occupations. They are bonded by their love for performing outstanding choral works. The Toledo Choral Society’s purpose is to contribute to the cultural development of Toledo and the surrounding area through the performance of significant choral music. The group is the area’s oldest continuously performing musical organization. The group performs a minimum of four concerts a year for the Toledo area.
The Toledo Choral Society collection spans from its creation, 1919, to 2013. Additions to the collection are expected as the society continues to grow. It has been organized into ten series: Proceedings, correspondence, subject/case files, reports, legal documents, printed materials, scrapbook materials, photographs, sound recordings, and oversized materials. Each series has one or several subseries. Please note that the series each have their own set of box numbers as this is a growing collection and individual boxes may need to be added to each series. Highlights of the collection include the programs which offer the musical history of the organization and the membership lists which may aid researchers in quests to find persons of interest.
Consists of Toledo Choral Society Meeting Minutes, Board Meeting Minutes, and Meetings of the Whole Minutes. Please note that some of these materials may also contain financial records as well.MEMBERSHIP DIRECTORIES
1959-1981, 1983-1984, 1986-2001, 2005-2006
Consists of meeting minutes, financial papers, correspondence and other proceedings materials that were compiled by TCS officers or committees. Please note there may be some minutes, financial records and correspondence in this series, however, this series has been kept together for the purpose of respecting the original order of the creator.
1920- 2006, n.d.
This series contains membership lists, officers’ lists, life members’ lists, membership directories, membership guides, member recruitment information and officer and committee recruitment information.
This series contains general correspondence of the Toledo Choral Society that affects its everyday operations. This correspondence includes subjects such as: presidential, membership, outreach, music, Arts Commission of Greater Toledo, Toledo City Council, LaSalle’s Concerts, Lakeside Concerts, Ohio Arts Council, Toledo Chamber of Commerce, Toledo Museum of Art, Toledo Public Library, Finances, Sam Szor, Publicity, Performing Arts Council of Toledo, Valentine Theatre, WGTE and Toledo Symphony.
This series contains information pertaining to publicity of the Toledo Choral Society. It documents the process the Toledo Choral Society conducted to gain publicity for their society and concerts. Items in this collection include notes about newspaper ads, radio announcements, and the spreading of concert information by word of mouth.
Letters of a general nature related to OSLHA members
Contains information and images about important personnel to the history of the Toledo Choral Society.
Information pertaining to various fundraisers the Toledo Choral Society has participated in over the years.
ANNUAL COMMITTEE REPORTS
holds reports from various Toledo Choral Society Committees and Officers.
Maintains the financial reports and records of the Toledo Choral Society by month, season, and concert.
Arranged chronologically, by tax season
Includes information about blanket certificate exemptions and tax files.
Arranged chronologically, by choral season
Contains programs and flyers from Toledo Choral Society concerts.
Consists of newsletters and newslines sent out to Toledo Choral Society Members.
Oversized posters from Toledo Choral Society concerts and events have been placed in appropriate box for storage. Please note that the items are stored in an oversized container and will be kept at the end of the collection.
Newspaper clippings from various local newspapers that highlight the Toledo Choral Society, including concerts, reviews, and community activities.
Scrapbooks about Toledo Choral Society activities and concerts as well as milestones such as the 75th Anniversary and Sam Szor’s 54th year as conductor. The 75th Anniversary scrapbook was originally placed within a binder, for preservation purposes the pages were taken out of the binder and placed in folders. This scrapbook, in accordance with the original creator, is ordered in reverse chronology starting in 1990 and ending in 1927.
Photographs of Toledo Choral Society activities and concerts as well as various pictures of members.
December 10, 1944, n.d.
Record albums from Toledo Choral Society concerts such as “The Messiah” and “Sacred Service.” Please note that only one record is dated, the others are left n.d.
- Proceedings: Constitution, March 30, 1952
- Proceedings: Constitution (drafts and finals), 1982-1983
- Proceedings: Constitution (drafts and finals), 1994-2001, n.d.
- Proceedings: Life Members, August 16, 1956
- Proceedings: Membership Directory, 1952-2006, n.d.
- Proceedings: Members’ Guide, 1971-2005, n.d.
- Proceedings: Membership List, 1920-1991
- Proceedings: Membership List, 1940-1943
- Proceedings: Membership List, 1942-1992
- Proceedings: Membership List, 1943-1948
- Proceedings: Membership List, 1956-1961
- Proceedings: Membership List, 1963-1975
- Proceedings: Membership List, 1966-1967
- Proceedings: Member Recruitment, 1920-2005, n.d.
- Proceedings: Minutes, 1922-1928
- Proceedings: Minutes, 1938-1948
- Proceedings: Minutes, 1928-1938
- Proceedings: Minutes, 1948-1960
- Proceedings: Minutes, 1960-1965
- Proceedings: Minutes, 1966-1970
- Proceedings: Minutes, 1970-1974
- Proceedings: Minutes, 1975-1981
- Proceedings: Minutes, 1981-1983
- Proceedings: Minutes, 1983-1985
- Proceedings: Minutes, 1985-1988
- Proceedings: Minutes, 1994-1997
- Proceedings Minutes, 1998-2000
- Proceedings: Minutes, 2001-2002
- Proceedings: Minutes, 2003-2006
- Proceedings: Officer’s List, 1925-1977, n.d.
- Proceedings: Officer and Committee Recruitment, 1968-1982, n.d.
- Proceedings: Records Book, 1970-1976
- Proceedings: Records Book, 1973-1974
- Proceedings: Records Book, 1977-1979
- Proceedings: Records Book, 1978-1980
- Proceedings: Records Book, 1979-1983
- Correspondence: Arts Commission of Greater Toledo, 1964-1997
- Correspondence: Finances, 1951-1994
- Correspondence: Finances, 1995-2003, n.d.
- Correspondence: Lakeside Concerts, 1957-1968
- Correspondence: LaSalle’s Concerts, 1962-1964, n.d.
- Correspondence: Membership, 1954-2004, nd.d
- Correspondence: Music, 1962-1964
- Correspondence: Ohio Arts Council, 1966-2002, n.d.
- Correspondence: Outreach, 1961-1997, n.d.
- Correspondence: Performing Arts Council of Toledo, 1998-1999
- Correspondence: Presidential, 1957-1991
- Correspondence: Publicity, 1956-1971
- Correspondence: Publicity, 1972-2000, n.d.
- Correspondence: Sam Szor, 1961-1999
- Correspondence: Toledo Chamber of Commerce, 1948-1967
- Correspondence: Toledo City Council, 1957-1983, n.d.
- Correspondence: Toledo Museum of Art, 1947-2001
- Correspondence: Toledo Public Library, 1957-1998
- Correspondence: Toledo Symphony, 1992-2001
- Correspondence: Valentine Theatre, 1999-2000. n.d.
- Correspondence: WGTE, 1998-2001
- Subject File: Costumes, n.d.
- Subject File: 50th Anniversary Information 1968-1969, n.d.
- Subject File: Fundraisers, 1965-2001
- Subject File: History, 1919-1971, n.d.
- Subject File: Lester McCoy, 1958-1969, n.d.
- Subject File: Mary Willing Megley, 1920-1963, n.d.
- Subject File: Messiah Music Book (handle with care), 1912
- Subject File: Music 1963-1991, n.d.
- Subject File: Publicity, 1925-1970
- Subject File: Publicity, 1971-1996
- Subject File: Publicity, 1997-2006, n.d.
- Subject File: Sam Szor Jr., 1958-1982
- Subject File: Soloist Concerts, 1950-1984
- Subject File: Women’s Auxiliary Club, 1971, n.d.
- Reports: Annual Committee Reports, 1922-1983
- Reports: Annual Committee Reports, 1984-2005, n.d.
- Reports: Financial Reports, 1939-1969
- Reports: Financial Reports, 1975-1991
- Reports: Financial Reports, 1991-1994
- Reports: Financial Reports, 1994-1996
- Reports: Financial Reports, 1996-1998
- Reports: Financial Reports, 1998-2000
- Reports: Financial Reports, 2000-2006, n.d.
- Reports: Financial Reports, Orchestra Payroll, 1961-1967, n.d.
- Legal Documents: Blanket Certificate of Exemption, 1989-1997, n.d.
- Legal Documents: Insurance, 1994-1998
- Legal Documents: Insurance, 1999-2001, n.d.
- Legal Documents: Taxes, 1992-1999
- Legal Documents: Taxes, 1999-2002. n.d.
- Printed Materials: 2nd Season, 1920-1921
- Printed Materials: 3rd Season, 1921-1922
- Printed Materials: 4th Season, 1922-1923
- Printed Materials: 5th Season, 1923-1924
- Printed Materials: 6th Season, 1924-1925
- Printed Materials: 7th Season, 1925-1926
- Printed Materials: 8th Season, 1926-1927
- Printed Materials: 9th Season, 1927-1928
- Printed Materials: 10th Season, 1928-1929
- Printed Materials: 11th Season, 1929-1930
- Printed Materials: 12th Season, 1930-1931
- Printed Materials: 13th Season, 1931-1932
- Printed Materials: 15th Season, 1933-1934
- Printed Materials: 16th Season, 1934-1935
- Printed Materials: 17th Season, 1935-1936
- Printed Materials: 18th Season, 1936-1937
- Printed Materials: 19th Season, 1937-1938
- Printed Materials: 20th Season, 1938-1939
- Printed Materials: 21st Season, 1939-1940
- Printed Materials: 22nd Season, 1940-1941
- Printed Materials: 23rd Season, 1941-1942
- Printed Materials: 24th Season, 1942-1943
- Printed Materials: 25th Season, 1943-1944
- Printed Materials: 26th Season, 1944-1945
- Printed Materials: 27th Season, 1945-1946
- Printed Materials: 28th Season, 1946-1947
- Printed Materials: 29th Season, 1947-1948
- Printed Materials: 30th Season, 1948-1949
- Printed Materials: 31st Season, 1949-1950
- Printed Materials: 32nd Season, 1950-1951
- Printed Materials: 33rd Season, 1951-1952
- Printed Materials: 34th Season, 1952-1953
- Printed Materials: 35th Season, 1953-1954
- Printed Materials: 36th Season, 1954-1955
- Printed Materials: 37th Season, 1955-1956
- Printed Materials: 38th Season, 1956-1957
- Printed Materials: 39th Season, 1957-1958
- Printed Materials: 40th Season, 1958-1959
- Printed Materials: 41st Season, 1959-1960
- Printed Materials: 42nd Season, 1960-1961
- Printed Materials: 43rd Season, 1961-1962
- Printed Materials: 44th Season, 1962-1963
- Printed Materials: 45th Season, 1963-1964
- Printed Materials: 46th Season, 1964-1965
- Printed Materials: 47th Season, 1965-1966
- Printed Materials: 48th Season, 1966-1967
- Printed Materials: 49th Season, 1967-1968
- Printed Materials: 50th Season, 1968-1969
- Printed Materials: 51st Season, 1969-1970
- Printed Materials: 52nd Season, 1970-1971
- Printed Materials: 53rd Season, 1971-1972
- Printed Materials: 54th Season, 1972-1973
- Printed Materials: 55th Season, 1973-1974
- Printed Materials: 56th Season, 1974-1975
- Printed Materials: 57th Season, 1975-1976
- Printed Materials: 58th Season, 1976-1977
- Printed Materials: 59th Season, 1977-1978
- Printed Materials: 60th Season, 1978-1979
- Printed Materials: 61st Season, 1979-1980
- Printed Materials: 62nd Season, 1980-1981
- Printed Materials: 63rd Season, 1981-1982
- Printed Materials: 64th Season, 1982-1983
- Printed Materials: 65th Season, 1983-1984
- Printed Materials: 66th Season, 1984-1985
- Printed Materials: 67th Season, 1985-1986
- Printed Materials: 68th Season, 1986-1987
- Printed Materials: 69th Season, 1987-1988
- Printed Materials: 70th Season, 1988-1989
- Printed Materials: 71st Season, 1989-1990
- Printed Materials: 72nd Season, 1990-1991
- Printed Materials: 73rd Season, 1991-1992
- Printed Materials: 74th Season, 1992-1993
- Printed Materials: 75th Season, 1993-1994
- Printed Materials: 76th Season, 1994-1995
- Printed Materials: 77th Season, 1995-1996
- Printed Materials: 78th Season, 1996-1997
- Printed Materials: 79th Season, 1997-1998
- Printed Materials: 80th Season, 1998-1999
- Printed Materials: 81st Season, 1999-2000
- Printed Materials: 82nd Season, 2000-2001
- Printed Materials: 83rd Season, 2001-2002
- Printed Materials: 84th Season, 2002-2003
- Printed Materials: 85th Season, 2003-2004
- Printed Materials: 86th Season, 2004-2005
- Printed Materials: 87th Season, 2005-2006
- Printed Materials: 88th Season, 2006-2007
- Printed Materials: 89th Season, 2007-2008
- Printed Materials: 91st Season, 2009-2010
- Printed Materials: 92nd Season, 2010-2011
- Printed Materials: 93rd Season, 2011-2012
- Printed Materials: 94th Season, 2012-2013, n.d.
- Printed Materials: Newsletters, 2000-2005
- Printed Materials: Newslines, February 1983-April 1983
- Scrapbook Materials: Newspaper Clippings, 1920s
- Scrapbook Materials: Newspaper Clippings, 1930s
- Scrapbook Materials: Newspaper Clippings, 1940s
- Scrapbook Materials: Newspaper Clippings, 1950s
- Scrapbook Materials: Newspaper Clippings, 1960s
- Scrapbook Materials: Newspaper Clippings, 1970s
- Scrapbook Materials: Newspaper Clippings, 1980s
- Scrapbook Materials: Newspaper Clippings, 1990s
- Scrapbook Materials: Newspaper Clippings, 2000s
- Scrapbook Materials: Newspaper Clippings, n.d.
- Scrapbook Materials: 75th Anniversary Scrapbook, 1994-1991
- Scrapbook Materials: 75th Anniversary Scrapbook, 1989-1982
- Scrapbook Materials: 75th Anniversary Scrapbook, 1981-1972
- Scrapbook Materials: 75th Anniversary Scrapbook, 1971-1962
- Scrapbook Materials: 75th Anniversary Scrapbook, 1961-1927
- Scrapbook Materials: Scrapbook, 1955-1956
- Scrapbook Materials: Scrapbook, 1964-1969
- Scrapbook Materials: 50th Anniversary Concert, Sunday May 19, 1969
- Scrapbook Materials: Scrapbook, 1970-1971
- Scrapbook Materials: Scrapbook, 1971-1972
- Scrapbook Materials: Celebrating 54 Years of Szor, November 11, 2012
- Photographs: Assorted, 1947-1993
- Photographs: Assorted, n.d.
- Sound Recording: Record Album, “The Messiah”, December 10, 1944
- Sound Recording: Record Album, “The Messiah”, n.d.
- Sound Recording: Record Album, “Sacred Service” (Avodath Hakodesh), n.d.
- Sound Recording: Record Album, “The Messiah” (6 records), n.d.
- Sound Recording: Record Album, “Requien” Opus 45 (2 records), n.d.
- Oversized Materials: Posters, 1920-1980
- Oversized Materials: Photographs, 1919, n.d.
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy