Center for Archival Collections
|NSAA Introduction | NSAA Bibliography | Education Bibliography | CAC Homepage|
Robert Brown Papers - MS 795
The Robert D. Brown Papers were donated in September of 1999 to be a part of the National Student Affairs Archives. The collection is comprised of dissertations, articles, book chapters, and speeches. Dr. Brown maintains copyright privileges on his speeches and unpublished materials until Dec. 31, 2019 or until his death. Any researcher wishing to publish any unpublished materials must receive consent from Dr. Brown. The collection was arranged and finding aid written by W. Alex Smith, archival assistant, in August 2006.
Dr. Brown is the Carl A. Happold Distinguished Professor Emeritus of Educational Psychology at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln and Senior Associate with Aspen Professional Development Associates. His B.A. is from St. John’s University, Minnesota (1955), and his M.A. (1956) and Ph.D. (1966) in counseling psychology is from the University of Iowa. He served in administrative positions, including: Director of Counseling, Director of Student Affairs Research, Assistant Vice President for the University of Nebraska, and Assistant Dean of Teachers College. He is a licensed psychologist (inactive).
He has received numerous teaching awards, including a University-Wide Burlington Northern Distinguished Teacher Scholar Award and two University of Nebraska-Lincoln Distinguished Teaching Awards. The American College Personnel Association presented him with a Distinguished Scholar Award. In 1993, he received the Academic Excellence as a Graduate Faculty Member Award from the National Association of Student Personnel Administrators.
He served as president of the American College Personnel Association (1989-1990) and editor of the Journal of College Student Development (1983-1988). He was awarded the ACPA Lifetime Achievement Award in 2012. He was also president of the Nebraska Psychological Association and the Nebraska Student Personnel Association. He has authored or co-authored seven books, including three evaluation books, as well as numerous articles and book chapters. He frequently serves as an evaluation consultant to school systems, health agencies, hospitals, colleges and universities, educational television, and state and federally funded projects. He has made numerous presentations and keynote speeches around the US and internationally.
(Information courtesy of Dr. Brown’s Vita Summary)
The Robert D. Brown Papers are organized into three record groups: Professional Papers, Publications, and Awards. These record groups are divided into record series which are described below. Please note that inventories for the articles, book chapters, speeches and presentations, and other publications are located within each folder. These inventories provide citation details.
Arranged by type of paper
Includes Dr. Brown’s curriculum vitae, vitae summary, biographical essay, and dissertation proposal.
Includes articles written by Dr. Brown.
Includes chapters of books written by Dr. Brown.
Includes speeches and presentations written and given by Dr. Brown.
Arranged by type of publication and chronologically
Includes various editorials and book reviews written by Dr. Brown.
Includes awards and recognition from various institutions and professional organizations.
- Vita and summary, ACPA biographical essay, 1999, n.d.
- Dissertation proposal – The Effects of a Particular Student Mix in a College Residence Hall, n.d.
Publications: (inventory of articles located in each folder)
- Articles #1 - #6, 1963-1969
- Articles #7 - #15, 1969-1970
- Articles #16 - #25, 1970-1972
- Articles #26 - #35, 1972-1975
- Articles #36 - #44, 1975-1978
- Articles #45 - #53, 1978-1980
- Articles #54 - #62, 1980-1982
- Articles #74 - #83, 1984
- Articles #84 - #93, 1984-1985
- Articles #94 - #105, 1985-1986
- Articles #106 - #117, 1986-1987
- Articles #118 - #129, 1987-1988
- Articles #130 - #142, 1988
- Articles #143 - #153, 1989-1990
- Articles #154 - #163, 1990-1992
- Articles #164 - #172, 1992
- Articles #173 - #183, 1993-1999
- Publications: (inventory of chapters located in each folder)
Book Chapters #1 - #7, 1972
- Book Chapters #8 - #15, 1972-1978
- Book Chapters #16 - #23, 1978-1980
- Book Chapters #24 - #30, 1980-1982
- Book Chapters #31 - #38, 1982-1987
- Book Chapters #39 - #46, 1987-1988
- Book Chapters #47 - #54, 1988-1990
- Book Chapters #55 - #63, 1993-1996
Speeches/Presentations: (inventory of speeches/presentations located in each folder)
- Speeches/Presentations #4, #20, #24, #25, #69, #81, #99, #108, #110 (see attached inventory), 1966-1984
- Speeches/Presentations #114, #115, #118, #122, #123, #126, #127, #128, #131, #132, #133, #134, 1985-1989
- Speeches/Presentations #136, #138, #143, 1991-1999
Publications: (inventory of editorials, essays, reviews located in each folder)
- Journal editorials, 1983-1988
- ACPA Developments essays and statements, 1975-1999
- Book Reviews, 1972-1997
- NASPA Robert Shaffer Award for Excellence as a Graduate Faculty Member and other teaching awards, 1977-1993
- ACPA Recognitions, including Lifetime Achievement Award, 1977-1993, 2012
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy