Center for Archival Collections
|NSAA Introduction | NSAA Bibliography | Education Bibliography | CAC Homepage|
Ohio Association for Women in Education - MS 441
The Ohio Association for Women in Education (OAWE) donated their archives to the Center for Archival Collections on May 21, 1985. OAWE records held at the Ohio State University Archives were transferred and added to the collection on October 4, 1985. The collection is comprised of board minutes, correspondence, committee and subject files, convention materials, and newsletters. No restrictions exist on the research use of the collection and copying is permitted for administrative and scholarly purposes. The collection was arranged and finding aid written by Wendy Evans, archival intern, in 1995. The arrangement and finding aid was updated by W. Alex Smith, archival assistant, in 2006.
The Ohio Association for Women in Education began in 1923-1924, as the Ohio Association of Deans of Women. It was affiliated with the National Association of Deans of Women as a state association. The first president was Irma E. Voigt who served from 1924 to 1928. Conferences were held and membership slowly increased. By the 1940 convention, speakers such as Dean Grace Zorbaugh were saying, “We have won the right to cut our hair and show our legs and also to select our occupations…We must develop a will-to-power among young women.” Due to WWII, the 1943 convention was canceled. In November of 1948, the association celebrated its twenty-fifth year.
In 1956, the Ohio Association of Deans of Women changed its name to the Ohio Association of Women Deans, Administrators, and Counselors, reflective of changes with the profession nationally. The OAWDAC had three types of membership: active, associate, and honorary. Later, membership was changed to include active retired members and student members. In 1967, elementary school administrators and counselors were added to the OAWDAC.
OAWDAC became involved with several state committees which addressed women’s issues. The association was one of sixteen organizations to be charter members of the Ohio Commission on the Status of Women. OAWDAC was active in support of the Equal Rights Amendment and was consulted for the Domestic Violence Bill of 1985. The OAWDAC supported the Family Education Rights and Privacy Law in 1976. In 1991, again reflected of changes with the national association, OAWDAC changed its name to the Ohio Association for Women In Education. It dissolved when the national association dissolved in 2000.
The Ohio Association for Women in Education collection is organized into ten record groups: Proceedings, Correspondence, Committees, Inter-association, Officers, Conventions, Reports, History, Scrapbook Materials, and Publications.
Articles of Incorporation/By-laws
1929, 1934, 1940, 1969-1986
Includes drafts of constitutions, bylaw changes, and certificates of incorporation.
Manual of Operation
1973, 1975, 1976, 1984
Includes the responsibilities and duties of officers and committees.
Includes minutes, agendas, and reports from both the Executive Board and General Business meetings.
Includes correspondences by Executive Board members.
Arranged alphabetically by name of committee, then chronologically
Includes correspondence, notes, annual reports, and evaluations.
Arranged alphabetically, then chronologically
Includes publications, brochures, correspondences, and minutes for associations in which OAWE was affiliated.
Arranged by office, then chronologically
Includes correspondence and annual reports for the officers and appointed officials.
Includes correspondences, programs, registration lists, brochures, reports, registration forms, bibliographies for workshops, and evaluations of conventions.
Includes officer reports compiled for the annual fall convention.
Includes financial reports, correspondence, annual reports, and proposed budgets from the OAWE Treasurer.
Includes lists of Executive Board members, membership directories, reports on honorary and retired members.
Includes correspondences, programs, newspaper clippings, minutes, mailing lists, and publications for the North East Ohio Teachers Association and North East Ohio Deans Association.
Includes a list of past presidents of OAWE.
History and Archives
Includes notes and reports of OAWE’s history.
Includes newspaper clippings and copies of articles on the activities of OAWE and its members.
Includes OAWE newsletters discussing association activities and business.
- Articles of Incorporation 1986
- Constitution and bylaws 1929, 1934, 1940, 1969-1980
- Constitution and bylaws 1980-1982
- Manual of Operations 1973-76, 1984
- Minutes-General Business Meeting 1957-1971
- Minutes-General Business Meeting 1972-1985
- Minutes-Executive Board Meeting 1960-1964
- Minutes-Executive Board Meeting 1965-1969
- Minutes-Executive Board Meeting 1970-1971
- Minutes-Executive Board Meeting 1972-1974
- Minutes-Executive Board Meeting 1975-1979
- Minutes-Executive Board Meeting 1979-1983
- Minutes-Executive Board Meeting 1983-1986, 1997-1998
- Correspondence 1950-1966
- Correspondence 1967-1970
- Correspondence (General) 1967-1970
- Correspondence 1971-1972
- Correspondence 1972-1974
- Correspondence 1973-1974
- Correspondence 1972-1975
- Correspondence 1975-1976
- Correspondence 1976-1977
- Correspondence 1977
- Correspondence 1978-1979
- Correspondence 1980-1981
- Correspondence 1982
- Correspondence 1983-1986,
- Audit Committee 1968
- Bylaws Committee 1967-1985
- Committee to Investigate Convention Costs 1973
- Constitutional Review Committee 1969
- Continuing Education Committee 1977-1983
- Current Issues Committee 1969-1985
- Educational Focus Committee 1969-1970
- Evaluation Committee 1969
- Exhibits Committee 1960-1963
- Local Arrangements Committee 1974-1983
- Membership Committee 1953-1986
- Necrology Committee 1962-1970
- Newsletter Committee 1968-1981
- Nominating Committee 1956-1970
- Nominating Committee 1974-1987
- Policy Committee 1956
- Program Committee 1956-1970
- Program Committee 1972-1984
- Resolutions Committee 1950-1970
- Resolutions Committee 1965-1985
- Domestic Violence Bill 1985
- Democratic Platform Committee 1972
- Ohio House Bill #610 1973
- Ohio Planning Committee 1982-1983
- State Guidance 1967
- Status of Women Committee 1966-1970
- Women’s Division, Ohio Bureau of Employment Services 1970
- Women’s Division, ERA, Status of Women Committee 1972-1973
- Women’s State Committee of Ohio 1954-1958
- Women’s State Committee of Ohio 1960-1968
- Women’s State Committee of Ohio 1976-1973
- Correspondence with other NAWDAC State Associations 1968
- NAWDAC State Association Presidents 1965-1977
- President, President-elect officers’ file 1969-1986
- Secretary’s file 1969-1970
- Secretary’s file 1975-1984
- College Representative’s file 1965-1985
- Elementary, Junior High Representative’s file 1960-1984
- Historian-Archivist’s file 1954-1970
- NAWDAC Liaison’s file 1981-1983
- Retiree Section file 1981-1985
- Senior High Representative’s file 1964-1984
- University Representative’s file 1961-1986
- Highlights of Convention Programs 1955-1970
- Convention 1955
- Convention 1957
- Convention 1960
- Convention 1961
- Convention 1962
- Convention 1963
- Convention 1964
- Convention 1965
- Convention 1966
- Convention 1967
- Convention 1968
- Convention 1969
- Convention 1970
- Convention 1971
- Convention 1972
- Convention 1973
- Convention 1974
- Convention 1975
- Convention 1976
- Convention 1977
- Convention 1978
- Convention 1979
- Convention 1980
- Convention 1981
- Convention 1982
- Convention 1983
- Convention 1984
- Convention 1985
- Convention 1986, 1988
- Newsclippings 1955-1986
- Annual Reports 1968-1985
- Financial Reports 1955-1977
- Financial Reports 1978-1986
- Lists of Executive Boards 1960-1973
- Lists of Executive Boards 1973-1987, 1997-1998
- OAWDAC Directories 1959-1975
- OAWDAC Directories 1976-1985, 1996-1997
- Honorary Membership Report 1953
- Retired Members 1969-1970
- Membership Forms and Information n.d.
- NEODA/NEOTA 1935-1950
- NEODA/NEOTA 1951-1969
- President’s list 1924-1974
- OAWDAC History 1923-1974
- OAWDAC Archives 1966-1968
- Newsletters 1959-1970
- Newsletters 1971-1979
- Newsletters 1980-1987
Bowling Green State University | Bowling Green, OH 43403-0001 | Contact Us | Campus Map | Accessibility Policy