Center for Archival Collections
Genealogy Resources: Sandusky County
Established: 12 February 1820
Newspapers are useful to genealogical research because of the obituaries and community news appearing in them. The following communities published newspapers with information relating to Sandusky County residents. To see the CAC's holdings for each title, go to the Guide to Newspaper Holdings, select the letter the city name begins with and scroll down or use your browser's search function to locate the description of the newspapers. Newspapers may also be located at your local public library or at the Ohio Historical Society.
Counties, townships, and cities all keep records of interest to family historians. Probate Court records include Births and Deaths (first recorded in 1867), marriages, wills, and guardianships. Naturalization records may also be found here as well as in the Court of Common Pleas. For a full listing of offices, see Sandusky County Guide to Local Government Records .
Researchers interested in contemporary records, or any record not listed here on the CAC's inventories should contact the Sandusky County Courthouse for more information.
Search the BGSU Libraries online catalog for Sandusky County, Ohio histories and atlases. The following indexes have been compiled and are available for use at the Center for Archival Collections.
- Index to Sandusky County Marriage Records, 1820-1894
- Cemeteries in Sandusky, County, Ohio. CAC OG F497.S2C45...
- Ohio Veteran's Home Death Records, January 3, 1889, through December 31, 1983 Sandusky, Ohio : Erie County Chapter of the Ohio Genealogical Society, 1984. pOG 3071
- Minderman, Edith Johnson. Ottawa, Sandusky, and Seneca Counties, Ohio, Newspaper Obituary Abstracts, 1836-1870. Ft. Wayne, IN: M.B. Clegg, 1985. CAC OG F497.A18M55
- Brinkmeier, Hermina. Sandusky County Infirmary, 1880-1940: Persons Admitted. [Dayton, Ohio: H. Brinkmeier], c1994 CAC ficheset 20
- Manion, Richard L. Sandusky County, Ohio Civil War Soldiers. Fremont, Ohio: Sandusky County Kin Hunters, 1992 CAC OG F497.S2 M355
- Sandusky County, Ohio Index to Wills, Estates, and Guardianships, 1820-1900. Fremont, Ohio: Sandusky County Kin Hunters, 1991 CAC OG F497.S251 1991
Most local government record volumes are indexed at the front of each volume. Some separate indexes have been prepared and form part of the local record series. These include:
- Will Records, 1836-1852, 1r (#65)