Center for Archival Collections
Genealogy Resources: Allen County
Established: 12 February 1820
Newspapers are useful to genealogical research because of the obituaries and community news appearing in them. The following communities published newspapers with information relating to Hancock County residents. To see the CAC's holdings for each title, go to the Guide to Newspaper Holdings, select the letter the city name begins with and scroll down or use your browser's search function to locate the description of the newspapers. Newspapers may also be located at your local public library or at the Ohio Historical Society.
Counties, townships, and cities all keep records of interest to family historians. Probate Court records include Births and Deaths (first recorded in 1867), marriages, wills, and guardianships. Naturalization records may also be found here as well as in the Court of Common Pleas. For a full listing of offices, see Hancock County Guide to Local Government Records.
Researchers interested in contemporary records, or any record not listed here on the CAC's inventories should contact the Hancock County Courthouse for more information.
Search the BGSU Libraries online catalog for Hancock County, Ohio histories and atlases. The following indexes have been compiled and are available for use at the Center for Archival Collections.
- Hancock County, Ohio Cemetery Inscriptions. CAC OG F497.H3 H35...
- Index to Brown's History of Hancock County, Ohio. pOG 3110
- Hancock County, Ohio, Wills and Estates Index, 1851-1900. CAC OG F497.H3 H33
- Index to Hancock County Wills from Probate Court, 1829-1957. CAC OG F497.H3 I43
- Index to Naturalization Papers Found in Hancock County Court Records. CAC OG F497.H3I45 1988
- Marriage Records of Hancock County, Ohio, vol. 1, 1828 thru 1864, vol. 2, 1865 thru 1884, vol. 3, 1885 thru 1898. CAC OG F497.H3 M3...