Center for Archival Collections
Genealogy Resources: Erie County
Established: 15 March 1838
Newspapers are useful to genealogical research because of the obituaries and community news appearing in them. The following communities published newspapers with information relating to Erie County residents. To see the CAC's holdings for each title, go to the Guide to Newspaper Holdings, select the letter the city name begins with and scroll down or use your browser's search function to locate the description of the newspapers. Newspapers may also be located at your local public library or at the Ohio Historical Society.
Counties, townships, and cities all keep records of interest to family historians. Probate Court records include Births and Deaths (first recorded in 1867), marriages, wills, and guardianships. Naturalization records may also be found here as well as in the Court of Common Pleas. For a full listing of offices, see Erie County Guide to Local Government Records.
Researchers interested in contemporary records, or any record not listed here on the CAC's inventories should contact the Erie County Courthouse for more information.
Search the BGSU Libraries online catalog for Erie County, Ohio histories and atlases. The following indexes have been compiled and are available for use at the Center for Archival Collections.
- 1870 Entire Text of Introduction U.S. Census Index for Erie County, Ohio. CAC OG F497.E5E55
- Erie County, Ohio, Cemetery Census before 1909. CAC OG F497.E5W83
- Erie County Cemetery Inventories. [microform] CAC MMS 899mf
- Index of Erie county, Ohio, Common Pleas Court Journals, vols. I-X, (1838-1865). CAC OG F497.E5G45
- Index to Chancery Record No. 1, 1839-1853 (pOG 3330)
- Ohio Veteran's Home Death Records, January 3, 1889, through December 31, 1983. pOG 3071
- Index to Coroner's Inquests (pOG 3424)
- Erie County, Ohio Probate Court Death Records. CAC OG F497.E5W85
- Erie County, Ohio Infirmary. CAC OG F497.E5W84
Most local government record volumes are indexed at the front of each volume. Some separate indexes have been prepared and form part of the local record series. These include:
- Marriage Records, 1838-1851, 1857-1864, 1r (#71)
- Marriages, Male, 1838-1920, 1r (#68)
- Marriages, Female, 1838-1920, 1r (#68)
- Will Records, 1837-1961, 1r (#35)