Infantry Units: 133rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Infantry units were recruited from all over the state. Those represented in detail here are the ones recruited primarily from northwest Ohio counties and those whose members wrote to local newspapers. More information will be added as it becomes available.
This Regiment was organized at Camp Chase, Ohio, May 6, 1864, to serve one hundred days. It was composed of two companies of the 58th Battalion, Ohio National Guard, from Hancock County, and two companies of the 76th Battalion, Ohio National Guard, from Franklin County, with the 3rd Ohio National Guard from Franklin County. After muster-in, the Regiment was immediately ordered to Parkersburg, West Virginia, where it arrived on the 8th of May, and from this place it was ordered to New Creek, from which place it proceeded to Washington City, Jun 7, and was ordered to Bermuda Hundred, where it arrived on June 12. On the 16th of June, the First Division of the First Brigade, to which this Regiment was assigned, was ordered to destroy the Richmond and Petersburg Railroad. The 133rd was assigned to the support of a battery, which opened a canonade on the enemy, and with other troops, succeeded in holding the Rebels in check for five hours. On the 17th of July the Regiment embarked at Point of Rocks and proceeded to Fort Powhatan. Here it was employed on work on the fortifications and in repairing telegraph lines. On the 10th of August the Regiment proceeded to Washington City, thence to Camp Chase, Ohio, where it was mustered out August 20, 1864 on expiration of term of service.