Cavalry Units: 12th Ohio Volunteer Cavalry
Cavalry units were recruited from all over the state. Those represented in detail here are the ones recruited primarily from northwest Ohio counties and those whose members wrote to local newspapers. More information will be added as it becomes available.
This regiment was organized at Camp Cleveland, Ohio, from the State at large, from August 17, 1863 to November 24, 1863, to serve for a term of three years.
It was mustered out of the service November 14, 1865, at Nashville, Tennessee, in accordance with orders from the War Department.
Some of the battles in which this unit took part include:
- Mount Sterling, KY, June 9, 1864
- Cynthiana, KY, June 12, 1864
- (1) Saltville, VA, October 2, 1864
- Kingsport, TN, December 13, 1864
- Bristol, TN, December 14, 1864
- Abingdon, VA, December 15, 1864
- Wytheville, VA, December 16, 1864
- Marion, VA, December 18, 1864
- (2) Saltville, VA, December 20, 1864
- Salisbury, NC, April 12, 1865
- Dallas, NC, April 19, 1865
- Catawba River, NC, April 19, 1865
Roster - Company I
Articles about the Unit/Anonymous Letters
Hancock Jeffersonian: July 1, 1864