Artillery Units: 8th Ohio Battery, Independent Light Artillery
Artillery units were recruited from all over the state. Those represented in detail here are the ones recruited primarily from northwest Ohio counties.
8th Ohio Battery, Independent Light Artillery
This Battery was mustered into service March 11, 1862, at Camp Dennison, Ohio by P. H. Breslin, Captain 18th Infantry, US Army, to serve three years. On the expiration of its term of service, the original members, except veterans, were mustered out and the organization, composed of veterans and recruits retained in service until August 7, 1865, when it was mustered out, at Camp Dennison, Ohio, by Charles Newbolt, 1st Lieutenant, 5th Infantry, US Army.
Some of the battles in which this unit participated include:
- Pittsburg Landing, TN, April 6-7, 1862
- Corinth, Mississippi (advance on), April 30-May 30, 1862
- Chickasaw Bayou, MS, December 28-29, 1862
- Arkansas Post, AR, January 11, 1863
- Raymond, MS, May 12, 1863
- Champion Hills, MS, May 16, 1863
- Vicksburg, MS (Siege of), May 18-July 4, 1863
- Jackson, MS, July 9-16, 1863