Infantry Units: 73rd Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Infantry units were recruited from all over the state. Those represented in detail here are the ones recruited primarily from northwest Ohio counties and those whose members wrote to local newspapers. More information will be added as it becomes available.
This Regiment was organized at Chillicothe, Ohio December 30, 1861 to serve three years. the original members (except veterans) were mustered out December 30, 1864 by reason of expiration of term of service, and the organization, composed of veterans and recruits retained in service until July 20, 1865 when it was mustered out in accordance with orders from the War Department.
Some of the battles in which this unit participated include:
- McDowell, VA, May 8, 1862
- Cross Keys, VA, June 8, 1862
- Cedar Mountain, VA, August 9, 1862
- Freeman's Ford, VA, August 23-25, 1862
- Bull Run (2nd Battle), August 30, 1862
- Chancellorsville, VA, May 1-4, 1863
- Gettysburg, PA, July 1-3, 1863
- Lookout Valley, TN, October 29, 1863
- Missionary Ridge, TN, November 25, 1863
- Resaca, GA, May 13-16, 1864
- New Hope Church, GA (Dallas), May 25-June 4, 1864
- Kenesaw Mountain, GA, June 9-30, 1864
- Peach Tree Creek, GA, July 20, 1864
- Atlanta, GA (Siege), July 28-September 2, 1864
- Averysboro, NC, March 16, 1865
- Bentonville, NC, March 19-21, 1865
Roster - Company B
Mustered in October 13 to December 15, 1861 at Camp Logan, Chillicothe, Ohio by Thomas W. Higgins, 2nd Lieutenant and mustering officers. Mustered out July 20, 1865 at Louisville, KY.