Infantry Units: 70th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Infantry units were recruited from all over the state. Those represented in detail here are the ones recruited primarily from northwest Ohio counties and those whose members wrote to local newspapers. More information will be added as it becomes available.
This Regiment was organized at Camp Dennison, Ohio from November 1861-February 1862 to serve three years. On the expiration of its term of service, the original members (except veterans) were mustered out and the organization, composed of veterans and recruits, retained in the service until August 14, 1865, when it was mustered out in accordance with orders from the War Department.
Some of the battles in which this unit participated include:
- Shiloh, TN, April 6-7, 1862
- Jackson, MS, July 9-16, 1863
- Chattanooga, TN, NOvember 23-25, 1863
- Dallas, GA, May 25-June 4, 1864
- New Hope Church, GA, June 2, 1864
- Kenesaw Mountain, GA, June 9-30, 1864
- Atlanta, GA (Hood's 1st Sortie), July 22, 1864
- Ezra Church, GA (2nd Sortie), July 28, 1864
- Atlanta, GA (Siege), July 23-September 2, 1864
- Jonesboro, GA, August 31-September 2, 1864
- Lovejoy Station, GA, September 2-6, 1864
- Statesboro, GA, December 4, 1864
- Fort McAllister, GA, December 13, 1864
- Averysboro, NC, March 16-20, 1865
- Bentonville, NC, March 19-21, 1865
- March to the Sea
Roster - Field and Staff
Mustered in December 15, 1861 at Camp Hamer, Ohio. Mustered out August 14, 1865 at Little Rock, Arkansas.