Infantry Units: 61st Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Infantry units were recruited from all over the state. Those represented in detail here are the ones recruited primarily from northwest Ohio counties and those whose members wrote to local newspapers. More information will be added as it becomes available.
This Regiment was organized in the State of Ohio at large in March, April, and May 1862 to serve three years. It was consolidated with the 82nd OVI March 31, 1865, in accordance with orders from the War Department.
The records of this Regiment, on file in the Adjutant-General's office, are so incomplete there being no muster-out rolls, that it is probable that some errors and omissions have been made.
Some of the battles in which this unit participated include:
- Freeman's Ford, VA, August 23-25, 1862
- Bull Run, VA (2nd Battle), August 30, 1862
- Chancellorsville, VA, May 1-4, 1863
- Gettysburg, PA, July 2-4, 1863
- Wauhatchie, TN, October 27, 1863
- Lookout Valley, TN, October 28, 1863
- Lookout Mountain, TN, November 24, 1863
- Missionary Ridge, TN, November 25, 1863
- Resaca, GA, May 13-16, 1864
- Dallas, GA, May 25-June 4, 1864
- Kenesaw Mountain, GA, June 19-27, 1864
- Peach Tree Creek, GA, July 20, 1864
- Atlanta, GA, July 22-28, Septeber 2, 1864
- Sherman's March to the Sea