Infantry Units: 29th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Infantry units were recruited from all over the state. Those represented in detail here are the ones recruited primarily from northwest Ohio counties and those whose members wrote to local newspapers. More information will be added as it becomes available.
This Regiment was organized from August 14, 1861 to March 13, 1862, at Jefferson, Ohio, to serve three years. On the expiration of its term of service, the original members (except veterans) were mustered out, and the organization, composed of veterans and recruits, retained inservice until July 13, 1865, when it was mustered out in accordance with orders from the War Department.
Some of the battles in which this unit participated include:
- Winchester, VA, March 23, 1862
- Port Republic, VA, June 9, 1862
- Cedar Mountain, VA, August 9, 1862
- Chancellorsville, VA, May 1-4, 1863
- Gettysburg, PA, July 1-3, 1863
- Dug Gap, GA (Mill Creek), May 7, 1864
- New Hope Church, GA, May 25, 1864
- Dallas, GA, May 29, 1864
- Pine Knob, GA, June 19, 1864
- Peachtree Creek, GA, July 20, 1864
- Averysville, NC, March 16, 1865