Infantry Units: 26th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Infantry units were recruited from all over the state. Those represented in detail here are the ones recruited primarily from northwest Ohio counties and those whose members wrote to local newspapers. More information will be added as it becomes available.
This Regiment was organized at Camp Chase, Columbus, Ohio, from June 8 to July 24, 1861, to serve three years. On the expiration of its term of service, the original members (except veterans) were mustered out. The members of the 97th Regiment, Ohio Infantry, whose term of service had not expired at the date of muster-out of that Regiment, were transferred to this Regiment June 10, 1865. The organization, composed of veterans and recruits, was retained in service until October 21, 1865, when it was mustered out in accordance with orders from the War Department.
Some of the battles in which this unit participated include:
- Shiloh, TN, April 6-7, 1862
- Corinth, MS (Occupation), May 30, 1862
- Perryville, KY, October 8, 1862
- Stone River, TN, December 31, 1862-January 2, 1863
- Chickamauga, GA, September 19-20, 1863
- Missionary Ridge, TN, NOvember 25, 1863
- Rocky Face Ridge, GA, May 5-9, 1864
- Resaca, GA, May 13-16, 1864
- Adairsville, GA, May 17-18, 1864
- Dallas, GA, May 25-June 4, 1864
- Kennesaw Mountain, GA (including general assault), June 9-30, 1864
- Peachtree Creek, GA, July 20, 1864
- Atlanta, GA, July 22, 1864
- Jonesboro, GA, August 31-September 1, 1864
- Spring Hill, TN, November 29, 1864
- Franklin, TN, November 30, 1864
- Nashville, TN, December 15-16, 1864
Roster - Field and Staff
At this writing, no correspondence from field and staff officers of the 26th OVI has been identified.