Infantry Units: 16th Ohio Volunteer Infantry
Infantry units were recruited from all over the state. Those represented in detail here are the ones recruited primarily from northwest Ohio counties and those whose members wrote to local newspapers. More information will be added as it becomes available.
This Regiment was organized at Camp Chase, Wooster and Zanesville, Ohio, from September 23 to December 2, 1861, to serve three years. It was mustered out October 31, 1864, by reason of expiration of term of service.
Some of the battles in which this unit participated include:
- Cumberland Gap, TN, April 28, 1862
- Tazewell, TN, August 6, 1862
- Chickasaw Bayou, MS, December 28-29, 1862
- Fort Hindman, AR (Arkansas Post), January 11, 1863
- Port Gibson, MS (Thompson's Hill), May 1, 1863
- Champion Hills, MS, May 16, 1863
- Big Black River, MS, May 17, 1863
- Vicksburg, MS, May 18-July 4, 1863
- Jackson, MS, July 9-16, 1863
- Alexandria, LA, April 26, 1864
- Mansura, LA (Red River Expedition), May 14-16, 1864