Center for Archival Collections
|Starting Your Research | CAC Research Aids | UL Class Pages Index|
HIST 4800: Civil War History--Resources at the CAC
- Civil War Manuscripts at the CAC
Lists all CAC-held manuscript collections, group by those collections which relate to the 21st Ohio Volunteer Infantry and then those dealing with all other units. Many of these collections have transcriptions of diaries and letters available online. Click on the links in the bibliography to read more detailed background information about the collection and check the links (especially at the bottom of the aid) to find transcripts which have been made.
- Northwest Ohio in the Civil War
Provides an index to northwest Ohio newspapers which published letters from soldiers. Information includes newspaper, date, author, unit of service. Biographical information including service record and sometimes postwar activity or photograph is also available for each author. A brief synopsis of each referenced unit gives major action seen by the unit, a list of members who wrote letters, and an index of anonymous letters or articles about the unit.
- Guide to Local Government Records
Organized by the name of the 19 counties in northwest Ohio. Follow the links to the county offices below. Not every county has all these records. For more details on the type of information to be found in these records, see the Archival Chronicle
- Court of Common Pleas. Manumissions.
- County Auditor. Civil War Bounties, Commutation Records, Enumeration of Soldiers and Sailors, Exemptions from Military Service, Militia Rolls
- County Recorder. Soldiers' Discharge Records, Soldiers' Grave Records
- Board of County Commissioners. Indigent Soldier Burial Records
- Soldiers' Relief Commission. Burial and Headstone Applications, Burial Records, Grave Marker Records, Minutes
- Guide to Newspaper Holdings
Organized by the name of the city of publication. All newspapers in this list are available at the Center for Archival Collections
- Search our Site
This sitewide search of the Center for Archival Collections allows searches across the entire CAC site, as well as searches restricted to manuscript collections
- Ohio in the Civil War Libguide by Carol Singer.
Includes information on primary and secondary sources, including internet sites
- Guide to Internet Links in Civil War History
A brief list of comprehensive and subject-oriented sites.
- Ohio Memory
Sponsored by the Ohio Historical Society, this site features material from all over the state throughout its history, including scans and transcriptions of original documents and images of period photographs and artifacts.
- Center for Archival Collections
5th Floor, Jerome Library
The Center for Archival Collections is a repository for manuscripts, local government records, newspapers, books, and other materials documenting the history of northwest Ohio. The online catalog also provides information about the CAC's collections. Hours for the CAC are Monday-Friday 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Monday evenings until 9:00 p.m.
- Jerome Library
Jerome Library holds books, federal and state government documents and microfilm newspapers of national scope and those which fall outside the northwest Ohio region. (However, the Toledo Blade is available from 1835-present.) To see which titles the library holds, check the online catalog.