Library Services for those with disabilities
BGSU Libraries are committed to providing access to information to all persons who are part of the university community. Since the collections may present barriers to patrons with disabilities, BGSU Libraries offer services to improve access. The library staff will help retrieve needed items from the collections and provide assistance in scanning materials. Library research assistance is available at the Research & Information Desk in the main library or at any of the service desks in our special collections. An appointment with a reference librarian may be desirable for assignments requiring many references. Procedures are identified below.
Retrieving Books from the Main Library
- Patrons can request books and other "available" items directly from the BGSU Libraries Catalog by using the Request button. The books will be retrieved within 72 hours and held at the circulation desk in the Jerome Library.
- Alternatively, patrons can present a list of books with author, title, and call numbers to the Circulation Desk or email the list to email@example.com. Circulation staff will try to have the books available within one business day and will hold for pick-up for ten days.
- Assistance with searching the catalog, requesting books or retrieving call numbers is available at the Research and Information Desk.
Retrieving Periodicals in the Main Library
Patrons needing assistance in retrieving periodicals should ask at the Research and Information Desk. Immediate assistance will be given as time allows, but please be prepared to leave a list of needed items. Periodicals will be retrieved within 24 hours and held at the Research and Information Desk for pickup.
Scanning Periodical Articles, Book Chapters, Reserve Materials, and Microform Documents.
Patrons needing help in scanning resources should request assistance at the Research and Information Desk or via firstname.lastname@example.org. Please provide the full citation for each item needing to be scanned. Scanned documents will be sent to your e-mail account within 72 hours.
Retrieval of Items from Special Collections
The BGSU Libraries Special Collections include the Curriculum Resource Center, Music Library, Center for Archival Collections and Browne Popular Culture Library. Patrons should contact the head of each collection in person or by phone during business hours (8 a.m. to 5 p.m., weekdays) to make special arrangements for retrieval of the items needed. Arrangements can be made to hold or copy most non-circulating materials for the patron.
Equipment and Services
- ADA wheelchair accessible computer workstation with OpenBook 7.0 Scanning & Reading Software & HP Scanjet 8270 Scanner.
- JAWS screen-reader software on computers in the open computer lab and in lab142.
Library staff can provide basic assistance, but cannot provide technical assistance or software instruction. Please contact the Disability Services office for assistance with equipment and information on additional services. They are located at 413 South Hall and can be reached at 372-8495, or http://www.bgsu.edu/offices/sa/disability/.
Linda Rich, Reference Coordinator
Phone 419-372-7902 or e-mail email@example.com
Or contact the Research & Information Desk at 419-372-6943 or firstname.lastname@example.org