Early English Books: 1641-1700
Title: Early English Books: 1641-1700
Location: Jerome Library Main Microforms; Microfilm Z 2002 .W5225
Format and Number of Reels/Fiche/Cards: Microfilm; over 2,000 reels
Publisher: University Microfilms International
Content Description: Reproductions of books, pamphlets, broadsides, etc. printed in England, Wales, Scotland, Ireland and the American colonies or books printed in English from elsewhere. All were published between 1641 and 1700. Periodicals are not included in this collection. The collection is chosen from Donald Wing's Short-Title Catalogue of Books Printed in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and British America, and of English Books Printed in Other Countries, 1641-1700, a bibliography that includes almost 90,000 publications.
NOTE: The BGSU Libraries own units 1-47; 49-81 of this collection.
Language(s): Primarily English.
Arrangement: The arrangement is based on Wing's bibliography.
1) English Short Title Catalogue. This research database includes entries from Early English Books: 1641-1700 and from Early American Imprints, 1639-1800 (Evans), another microfilm collection. Entries for publications in this collection include the notation "Wing" followed by the number of the document and the reel and position of the document in the microfilm collection.
2) Accessing Early English Books, 1641-1700: A Cumulative Index to Units 1-32 of the Microfilm Collection. (Jerome Library Reference Z 2002 .U586 1981 v.1-4) An index to the first 32 units of the collections. Each entry gives the reel and position number of the document.
3) Short-Title Catalogue of Books Printed in England, Scotland, Ireland, Wales, and British America, and of English Books Printed in Other Countries, 1641-1700, by Donald G. Wing. (Jerome Library Reference Z 2002 .W5 v.1-3 & Index) The bibliography from which the collection was chosen. Listed by author, with some title entries. The Index volume provides listing by printers, publishers, and booksellers. After finding the Wing number for a publication, you must then determine the reel and position number of the publication.
3) Early English Books, 1641-1700. Selected from Donald Wing's Short-Title Catalogue. A Cross Index to Units 1-74 of the Microfilm Collection. (Jerome Library Reference Z 2002 .W524) A index to units 1-74 of the collection. Organized by the Wing number. It provides the reel number and position of the document in the microfilm collection.
4) Early English Books, 1641-1700: Selected From Donald Wing's Short Title Catalogue. A series of guides to the microfilm collection. Each volume lists a series of reels and the contents of each reel. The library owns the guides for units 8-82 (reels 267-2087.)
5) Titles of English Books (and of Foreign Books Printed in England): An Alphabetical Finding-List of Books Published Under the Author's Name, Pseudonym or Initials, by Antony F. Allison and Valentine F. Goldsmith. (Jerome Library Reference Z 2001 .A44 1976 v.2). A title index to books in Wing's bibliography that don't have a title entry.
6) Women and the Literature of the Seventeenth Century: An Annotated Bibliography Based on Wing's Short-Title Catalogue, compiled by Hilda L. Smith and Susan Cardinale. (Jerome Library Main Stacks PR 113 .S64) A list of books written by, about, or for women that appear in Wing's bibliography. Each entry includes the Wing number for the publication.
Subject Categories: The Arts; History; Literature; Religion; Women's Studies
Keywords: english, england, books, pamphlets, publications
Time Period: 17th century