Early American Imprints, 1639-1800
Title: Early American Imprints, 1639-1800 (Evans)
Location: Northwest Ohio Book Depository; Print 015.73 .E11
Format and Number of Reels/Fiche/Cards: Microcards; 31,000 cards
Publisher: Readex Microprint
Content Description: Reproductions of books, pamphlets, almanacs, scores, and other materials published in the United States between 1639 and 1800. It does not include periodicals or newspapers. The collection is based on American Bibliography, by Charles Evans and Supplement to Charles Evans' American Bibliography, by Roger P. Bristol.
Note that these microcards are in the Northwest Ohio Book Depository. In order to use a document your request must include both the title, Early American Imprints 1639-1800, and the document number for the specific document you want which you will find in the database and books listed below.
Language(s): Many languages, including English, German, French, Latin, Dutch, and various Native American languages.
Arrangement: The documents on the cards are arranged by the number given them in the two bibliographies listed above (and referenced in several volumes listed below). In order to request a particular document, you need the document number which is found in the database and books listed below.
1) English Short Title Catalogue. This research database includes entries from Evans' American Bibliography, Bristol's Supplement, Shipton and Mooney's National Index and from Early English Books (another microform collection). If a publication is included in Early American Imprints, 1639-1800, the record will include one of the following notations, followed by the document number from the microcard: Evans, Bristol, or Shipton and Mooney. Ex.: Evans 3421 (Document number 3421 from the Early American Imprints, 1639-1800). This database does not include the full text of the documents.
2) National Index of American Imprints Through 1800; The Short-Title Evans, by Clifford K. Shipton and James E. Mooney. (Reference Z 1215 .S495 v.1-2; Northwest Ohio Book Depository Z 1215 .S495 v.1-2). An index to the microcard collections, this includes entries from both Evans' American Bibliography and Bristol's Supplement. It is organized alphabetically by author and title and corrects some of the errors in Evans' American Bibliography. Each entry includes the document number.
3) American Bibliography; A Chronological Dictionary of All Books, Pamphlets, and Periodical Publications Printed in the United States of America From the Genesis of Printing in 1639 Down to and Including the Year 1820, by Charles Evans. (Reference Z 1215 .E923 v.1-14). This microcard collection was made, in part, from this publication. Each volume covers a set of years and includes indexes by author, title, publisher/printer, and subject. Volume 14 provides author, title, and subject/keyword indexes for the entire set.
4) Index of Printers, Publishers, and Booksellers Indicated by Charles Evans in his American Bibliography, by Roger P. Bristol. (Reference Z 1215 .E9233). An index to the printers, publishers, and booksellers in Evans' American Bibliography.
5) Supplement to Charles Evans' American Bibliography, by Roger P. Bristol. (Reference Z 1215 .E92334). This lists publications that were not included in Evans' American Bibliography. Early American Imprints, 1639-1800 (Evans) includes these publications.
6) Music in Early America: A Bibliography of Music in Evans, by Donald L. Hixon. (Music Reference ML 120 .U5 H6). A list of all of the music included in Evans' American Bibliography.
Subject Categories: The Arts; History; Literature; Multicultural Studies; Religion; Women's Studies
Keywords: books, u.s., united states, usa, books, pamphlets, music
Time Period: 18th century; 19th century