School of Human Movement, Sport, & Leisure Studies
Applying for Graduate Study in HMSLS
- Fall admission: February 1
- Spring admission: November 15
- Summer admission: April 1
*Applications for admission are accepted all year. Materials by the deadline will be given priority in the admission and funding process. Students whose credentials are received after this date will be considered on a space-available basis.
Admission and Assistantship Prerequisites
- A degree from an accredited undergraduate college/university
- An undergraduate overall grade point average of 2.7 for admission
- An undergraduate overall grade point average of 3.0 for a Graduate Assistantship
- International Students: For additional requirements, see the International Student Services Graduate Admission website (http://www.bgsu.edu/international/page90583.html)
Submit to HMSLS (can be e-mailed to Dr. Vikki Krane at firstname.lastname@example.org):
1. School of HMSLS Application to the Master's Program
2. Personal Statement
- 2-3 pages reflecting your educational and career goals
- Include the program you wish enter (Leisure &Tourism, Kinesiology, or Sport Administration)
- If you want to focus your studies in a specific specialization within a program (e.g., marketing, sport psychology, exercise physiology, tourism, etc.), include that information
- If there is a specific person you would like to study with, name that person as a potential advisor
4. Three letters of recommendation
- Graduate Student Recommendation Form
- Recommenders should send the completed recommendation form and letter (optional) to the HMSLS graduate coordinator (email@example.com)
- Letters should not be sent by the applicant
- Recommendations should attest to your academic accomplishments as an undergraduate student and predict your potential as a graduate student.
- Recommendations from past or current professors are preferred.
- Please do not request recommendations from coaches, athletic trainers, employers, or other individuals unless they can directly assess your potential as a graduate student.
5. Graduate Assistantship Application
- If you are seeking funding, please complete this application.
*Note: all HMSLS application materials can be e-mailed as attachments to Dr. Vikki Krane at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submit to Graduate College:
1. Graduate College On-Line Application
- Fill out the application here.
2. Two Official Transcripts from all universities you have attended
3. Graduate Record Exam (GRE) Scores
- For Sport Administration students, GMAT scores may be submitted as an alternative to GRE scores
- For more information about the GRE, visit http://www.ets.org/gre
Review of Applications
- Upon receipt of all required application documents, the graduate faculty in your area of specialization will evaluate your credentials for admission and funding.
- Students are admitted when a graduate faculty member selects you as an advisee.
- Applications received by February 1st of the year of admission will be given priority in the admission and funding process.
- Students whose credentials are received after this date will be considered on a space-available basis.
- Graduate admission usually occurs in late February.
- Graduate assistantships are usually awarded by the end of March.
- If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Dr. Krane at email@example.com