The first step in securing an internship is to determine your career goals and interests. Write down your career goal and interests. How does the internship experience relate to your goal and interests? Make an appointment with the internship coordinator to review your career goal and interests and your thoughts of how the internship relates to these.
Next, look through the list of area agencies and their descriptions which is located in the School office (206 Johnston Hall) or potential placement sites. Choose an agency that will provide the kind of experience you desire. There are many diverse opportunities available within the field and Human Development and Family Studies. Agencies work with diverse populations: young children, adolescents, young adults, adults, older adults, families, individuals, groups. Some agencies provide educational services, others intervention, and others services. If you are unsure about the type of experience you want, make an appointment with Career Services to narrow your interests and/or contact several agencies to find out more details about the types of experiences they offer.
Once you have decided on a particular agency, you are responsible for locating an internship site and making arrangements for placement. To ensure a successful placement, the following steps need to be followed.
| || || |
Steps for Placement
- Complete an Internship Approval Form with the internship coordinator.
- Begin contacting internship sites.
- When making contacts, inquire about particular internship application procedures and expectations.
- Setup a meeting/interview with the professional at the internship site. Discuss responsibilities of all parties, activities which you will be engaged
- Send a thank you letter for having granted the interview.
- When an internship is offered, respond to that offer immediately with a phone call and either a letter of acceptance or a letter of regret.
- Meet with the internship coordinator to confirm placement.
- Complete the Internship Agreement Form (requires signature of sponsoring agency)
- Complete the Internship Registration Form (requires internship coordinator's signature) to register for the internship hours.