School of Educational Foundations, Leadership and Policy
Director, Int'l Comparative Education Center
Ph.D., Comparative and International Development Education,
Educational Policy and Administration
University of Minnesota, 1996
M.A., International Development Education, Educational Policy and Administration
University of Minnesota, 1994
B.A., English Education major, History minor
Concordia College, Moorhead, Minnesota, 1989
- EDFI 6010: Comparative Education
- EDFI 7010: Comparative Higher Education
- EDFI 4080: Education in a Pluralistic Society
- Comparative and International Education
- Democratic Citizenship Education
- Indigenous Knowledge
- School Curriculum and Educational Policy
- Cross-Cultural Pedagogies
Outstanding Citizen Achievement Award, United States Agency for International Development (2003)
Recognized by President Bush and The White House for Humanitarian and Reconstruction Efforts Abroad (2002)
Distinguished Research in Teacher Education Award, Association of Teacher Educators (2001)
Faculty Scholarship Award, College of Education and Human Development, Bowling Green State University (2007)
The Olscamp Research Award, Bowling Green State University (2003)
- Kubow, P.K., & Fossum, P.R. (2007). Comparative education: Exploring issues in international context (2nd ed.). Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson Education/Merrill Prentice Hall.
- Kubow, P.K., & Fossum, P.R. (2004). Korean translation by Professor Kim Dong-ewi of text, Comparative education: Exploring issues in international context. Seoul, Korea: Kyoyook Kwahak Sa Publishing.
- Kubow, P.K. (2010). Constructing citizenship in Jordan: Global and local influences shaping the national narrative in the Education Reform for Knowledge Economy (ERfKE) Era. World Studies in Education, 11(1), 7-20.
- Kubow, P.K. (2007, August). Teachers' constructions of democracy: Intersections of Western and indigenous knowledge in South Africa and Kenya. Comparative Education Review, 51(3), 307-328.
- Kubow, P.K., & Fischer, J.M. (2006). Democratic concept development: A dialogic process for developing education curriculum. Pedagogies: An International Journal, 1(3), 197-219.
- Kubow, P.K. (2005). African wisdom and democratic classrooms: Kenya and South Africa. Education and Society, 23(3), 21-33.
- Kubow, P.K. (2004, Summer). Complex identities: Negotiating self, educator, and citizen in the Education for Democracy Project. INQUIRY: Critical Thinking Across the Disciplines, 23(4), 13-18.
- DeBard, R., & Kubow, P.K. (2002, July). From compliance to commitment: The need for constituent discourse in implementing testing policy. Educational Policy: An Interdisciplinary Journal of Policy and Practice, 16(3), 387-405.
- Kubow, P.K. (2011). The creative spirit and comparative education. In P.L. Schneller & C. Wolhuter (Eds.), Navigating the C’s: Creativity, care, compassion, character, cosmopolitanism, contribution, and critical awareness. An introduction to comparative education (pp. 155-168). Noordburg, South Africa: Keurkopie Uitgewers
- Kubow, P.K. (2009). Democracy, identity, and citizenship education in South Africa: Defining a nation in a post-colonial and global era. In J. Zajda, H. Daun, L.J. Saha (Eds.), Nation-building, identity and citizenship education: Cross-Cultural Perspectives. (Book series: Globalisation, comparative education and policy research (Volume 3). London: Springer.
- Kubow, P.K. (2008). Developing citizenship education curriculum cross-culturally: A democratic approach with South African and Kenyan educators. In E.D. Stevick & B.A.U. Levinson (Eds.), Advancing democracy through education?: U.S. influence abroad and domestic practices (pp. 159-178). Book series: Education policy in practice: Critical cultural studies. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Kubow, P.K., & Fossum, P.R. (2008). Comparative education in the USA. In C. Wolhuter, N. Popov, M. Manzon, & B. Leutwyler (Eds.), Comparative education at universities world wide (2nd ed.) (pp. 157-166). Sofia, Bulgaria: Bureau for Educational Services, World Council of Comparative Education Societies.
- Kubow, P.K., & Fossum, P.R. (2007). Comparative education in the USA. In N. Popov & C.Wolhuter (Eds.), Comparative education as discipline at universities worldwide (pp. 9-18). Sofia, Bulgaria: Bulgarian Comparative Education Society.
- Kubow, P.K. (2004). Teaching for democratic citizenship. In D.R. Walling (Ed.), Public education, democracy, and the common good (pp. 101-107). Bloomington, IN: Phi Delta Kappa Educational Foundation.
- Fossum, P.R., & Kubow, P.K. (2003). Teacher marginalization in comparative education dialogue: Causes, consequences, and possible solutions. In M. Ginsburg & J. Gorostiaga (Eds.), Dialogue among researchers, policymakers, and practitioners: International perspectives on the field of education (pp. 83-94). New York: RoutledgeFalmer.
- Kubow, P.K. (2009, Fall). Globalization, diversity, and the search for culturally-relevant models for adult education. Review of Curriculum development for adult learners in the global community (Volume II, Teaching and Learning) edited by V.C.X. Wang, 2009. Malabar, FL: Krieger. In International Education, 39(1), 79-84.
- Kubow, P.K. (2007, November). Review of Comparative education research: Approaches and methods edited by M. Bray, B. Adamson, & M. Mason. Hong Kong: Comparative Education Research Centre, the University of Hong Kong; Springer, 2007. Comparative Education Review, 51(4), 534-537.
FEDERAL GRANT AWARD
- 2010-2011: Funding Agency: U.S. Department of Education, Fulbright-Hays Group Projects Abroad; Project Title: “Multiculturalism and Arab Identities—Citizenship, Identity, and the Politics of Belonging: The Case of Jordan” Principal Investigator and Project Director: P.K. Kubow
Kubow, P.K. (2010, October). Teacher education worldwide and the United States case. Keynote address paper presented at the International Symposium on Teacher Education in Modern Era: Current Trends and Issues, University of Crete, Greece.
Kubow, P.K. (2009, November). Comparative and international education in the new millennium: Re-examining key concepts and approaches to comparative education research in the global postmodern world. Keynote address paper presented at the South African Comparative and History of Education Society, Stellenbosch, South Africa.
- Review Board, International Education journal (2009-2010)
- Reviewer, Comparative Education Review journal (2009)
- Chair, Joyce Cain Award Subcommittee, Comparative and International Education Society (2008-2009)
- Member, Association of Teacher Educators, Association Development Committee (2006-2009)
- Member, Gail Kelly Award Subcommittee, Comparative and International Education Society (2007-2008)
- Manuscript Reviewer, International Review of Education, Special issue: Quality Education in Africa: Challenges and Prospects (2007)
- United Nations Student Association-South Africa, Invited presentation given on democratic education in South Africa and Kenya, University of the Western Cape, Bellville, South Africa (2006)