Finding an Advisor
Who's My Advisor?
The CHHS Advising Center: This office oversees the advising activities of the college. We strive to keep students informed about the numerous academic policies, procedures, rules and regulations related to completing a degree at BGSU. We post weekly messages within the CHHS community on MyBGSU. We monitor student academic progress and certify degree completion. The staff is knowledgeable about ALL procedural kinds of issues and we can help students with nearly any kind of general question.
- Meet primarily with first and second year students.
- All "pre-major" status students (pre-criminal justice, pre-gerontology, pre-social work, etc.)
- All applied health science students, pre-nursing and nursing students
- Any student who might want to change a major to one of those housed in the college or transfer out of our college to a different major at BGSU
- Any student in the college who needs help figuring out BGSU policies, graduation requirements, procedures, etc.
- Any student in the college who is experiencing a problem that will impact their academic pursuits (closed courses, extended illness, etc.)
- Academic appeals procedures
Students are assigned a "faculty advisor" by their major department. Students should seek their faculty advisor for the expertise within the faculty member's area of study.
- Internship preparation
- Career preparation
- Course sequencing within the major area
- Concerns related to the "major" area of study
- Approval of any deviation from the published curriculum (course substitutions, etc.)
SCHEDULING AN APPOINTMENT
CHHS ADVISING CENTER
Students enrolled in our college can access our web-based calendar at the following web page.
Students should learn their individual advisor's preference for appointments. This can include anything from dropping in during office hours or calling the department to schedule a meeting time. Students can see their assigned advisor's name by checking "my advisor" within MyBGSU.
- Applied Health Science 419-372-8242 Students in this program are advised by the College Advising Center Staff.
- Communication Sciences and Disorders 419-372-2516 - each student receives a letter from the department that includes the name of the student's assigned faculty advisor and instructions on how to contact the advisor. First-year students may meet with their college advisor, Tyler Diekhaus.
- Criminal Justice 419-372-2326 -each student is assigned a faculty advisor, first-year students are also assigned a college advisor. Students in their first 3 to 4 semesters should meet with their college advisor, Chris Venable
- Gerontology 419-372-2326 - students can call this number to arrange a meeting with Dr. Stelle. First-year students may also meet with their college advisor, Amy Ferree.
- Medical Laboratory Science 419-372-8242 - students can call this number to arrange a meeting with their faculty advisor. First-year students may meet with their college advisor, Chelsea Greene.
- Nursing 419-372-8242 - Eric Gullufsen oversees the advising of nursing students. Students can schedule appointments with Eric through Successnet in their MyBGSU.
- Social Work 419-372-2326 - Dr.Derek Mason is listed as the faculty advisor for all students in the program. Call the department to arrange a meeting. First-year students may meet with their college advisor, Amy Ferree.
TIPS FOR A PRODUCTIVE MEETING:
- Keep all of your academic records in a folder or file and bring the folder with you - this includes your degree checksheet, DARS report, grades, current class schedule, etc.
- Bring a pen or pencil and paper
- Write down your questions in advance so you don't forget to ask something
- It is common for advisors to refer students to other campus offices, be sure to ask if there are other resources you might utilize