When You Move Out, Don’t Throw It Out
This year marks BGSU’s Office of Campus Sustainability’s 14th annual When You Move Out, Don’t Throw It Out (WYMO), an event that occurs at the end of every spring semester to collect any still-usable items from students as they are moving out of their dorms and apartments for the summer. The Office of Campus Sustainability donates a huge portion of these items to various local non-profit organizations and food pantries, and then hosts a sale of the rest of the items specifically for BGSU students to raise money for the Office of Campus Sustainability’s green initiatives. Not only does WYMO help our local community, it also helps divert tons of unnecessary waste from landfills every year.
Donation collection boxes are placed in the Bowen-Thompson Student Union lobby, residence hall lobbies, and Outtakes locations.
Items that WYMO collects include:
o Non-perishable food (use up those extra falcon dollars to buy food to donate!)
o Personal items
o Household items
o Sporting goods
o Small furniture
o Cleaning/Office supplies
o ANYTHING that anyone who is moving out of their residence hall or apartment is willing to donate!
Interested in volunteering? We need volunteers to:
· Drive golf carts around campus (no registration needed to drive them, just be careful!), pick up the donated items from the collection boxes, and bring the donations to the Harshman Quad Community Room.
· Sort the items once they are taken to the Harshman Community Room.
WYMO has benefited multiple non-profits such as:
· Ashera's Garden
· Aurora Project
· Better World Books
· CASA Program
· Children's Resource Center
· Cocoon Shelter
· Cocoon Shelter Food Bank
· Defiance County Furniture Bank
· Easter Seals
· First Step Family Violence Intervention Center
· First United Methodist Church
· Fostoria Baptist Church
· Habitat for Humanity
· Human Society
· The Link
· Lutheran Home of Mercy
· Perrysburg Heights Community Association
· Salvation Army
· St. Aloysius Church
· St. Mark's Lutheran
· St. Vincent DePaul Society Food Pantry
· St. Vincent DePaul Society
· Many individual groups and families in need