Presidents' Climate Commitment
The Presidents’ Climate Commitment is a document that is signed by the President of a university that commits the university to taking actions to achieve climate neutrality for the university.
BGSU has been a proud signatory of the
American College & University Presidents' Climate Commitment
Current PCC Status at BGSU
Climate Action Plan Filed
In November 2014, President Mary Ellen Mazey approved the final draft of the Climate Action Plan to begin implementation at BGSU. It was officially filed with the American Colleges & Universities Presidents' Climate Committment in January 2015.
Explaining the Green House Gas Emissions Inventory Report
This PDF document explains the GHG Report's findings and our current carbon footprint. It's very helpful to understand the GHG report.
Additional PCC Info
The American College & University Presidents' Climate Commitment has extensive background information pertaining to the PCC as well as each College or University who has signed it and their respective GHG Report and Climate Action Plan.
Visit the PCC Website
Universities who sign the PCC are required to do
- Create a committee to oversee the implementation of the PCC
- Completing a greenhouse gas inventory of the university
- Creating a climate action plan within two years to reduce waste and eventually aim for carbon neutrality
- Creating a timeline for implementing the components of the climate action plan
- Incorporating sustainability into the curriculum
- Providing public access to all reports, progress, and achievements of the PCC
Net Impact lead a petition of support that gathered 1300 student signatures to show student support for the signing of the PCC. The signatures, along with a report, were sent to the president’s office in attempt to encourage BGSU President Mazey to sign the PCC.
A committee, which was Selected by President Mazey, submitted its draft of a Climate Action Plan. Read more about the trustees' approval of the climate commitment.
BGSU President Mary Ellen Mazey signed the ACUPCC at 11:00AM on Campus Sustainability Day, October 24, 2012. Read more about President Mazey signing the PCC in the ZoomNews.
After signing the commitment, BGSU selected four tangible actions to begin immediately. The four actions currently being implemented are as follows:
- Establish a policy that all new campus construction will be built to at least the U.S. Green Building Council's LEED Silver standard or equivalent.
- Adopt an energy-efficient appliance purchasing policy requiring purchase of ENERGY STAR certified products in all areas for which such ratings exist.
- Encourage use of and provide access to public transportation for all faculty, staff, students and visitors at our institution.
- Participate in the Waste Minimization component of the national RecycleMania competition, and adopt 3 or more associated measures to reduce waste.
A steering committee has been called together with representatives across campus including a member of the Undergraduate Student Government and the Graduate Student Senate to ensure the student population is adequately represented. Currently, BGSU is working with a third party company, Sight Lines, to assist with the Greenhouse Gas Emissions inventory report, which will be completed by January 15, 2014. This GHG Inventory report will be used to plan for BGSU's carbon neutrality plan.