The College of Business Administration (CBA) Peer Leader Program utilizes a select group of current students to help incoming first year business students transition to the CBA and college life. Peer Leaders are knowledgeable and experienced guides, trusted allies, and caring role models. Their role is to provide information about BGSU and the CBA, refer to appropriate people and campus resources, and help new students by sharing their own personal experiences and ways of overcoming obstacles. Peer Leaders also encourage new students to get involved and take advantage of the many academic, professional, and social opportunities in the CBA and BGSU.
Why be a Peer Leader?
Some benefits to becoming a Peer Leader include:
- Hands-on leadership training
- Leadership experience to include on resumes (and scholarship applications) and to share in interviews
- Recognition by the Dean, Business Faculty, and Staff as a top student leader
- Making a positive difference in the life of a new business students
- Peer Leader apparel for events
How do I become a Peer Leader?
Each Spring, the College of Business will select approximately 30 students for the Peer Leader Program. To be considered for the program, students must attend an information session, apply, and interview.
Information sessions will be held on January 16, 23, and 30th from 10:45 – 11:15 a.m. in room 110 Business Administration. Applicants may attend any of the three sessions and do not need to reserve a space ahead of time.
After attending the information session, students who meet the qualifications below are eligible to submit application materials:
- Have one (or two max) semesters as a business student on the Main BGSU campus prior to applying.
- Must be pursuing the Bachelor of Science in Business Administration degree or Bachelor of Science in Economics.
- Have a minimum 3.0 BGSU GPA prior to applying to the Peer Leader program.
- Must be available to serve as a Peer Leader for one year beginning in the summer following selection to the program.
- Demonstrate strong interpersonal skills, positive attitude, and initiative.
Those selected as a Peer Leader are required to complete 2 training sessions (4 hours each), an orientation session, and sign a Peer Leader agreement. Peer Leader Training I will be March 1 & 22 (attendance at one session required); Peer Leader Training II will be March 29 and April 5 (attendance at one session required). Peer Leader Orientation will be April 26, 2014.
Each Peer Leader will be assigned approximately 15 first year students. Peer Leaders will connect with new students electronically during the summer prior to their freshmen year, meet with students after the Dean’s Welcome on Opening Weekend (Fall), and maintain regular contact with the students during their first year.
What do I need to submit?
Please send a resume, BGSU transcript (unofficial is acceptable), and a personal statement (250 words or less) explaining why you would make an excellent Peer Leader for BGSU’s College of Business. Letters of reference from business faculty or staff are accepted, but not required.
All materials are sent to Dean Ray Braun, 371 Business Administration, Bowling Green, Ohio 43403, or via fax 419.372.2875, or email: email@example.com. The deadline to apply is Friday, February 14, 2014 at 5:00 p.m.
Applicants will be selected based on an evaluation of application materials and a personal interview. It is anticipated that Peer Leaders will be chosen by February 21st and notified shortly thereafter.