Global Entrepreneurship Week 2013
The world celebrates the spirit of entrepreneurship each year in mid-November. Global Entrepreneurship Week is the world’s largest celebration of innovators and job creators who launch start-ups that bring ideas to life, drive economic vitality, and expand human welfare. In 2013, one hundred and thirty-eight countries celebrated this special week, and the College of Business took part in honoring innovation on November 21, 2013, through two events – "Supply Chain Logistics Lunch & Learn" and "Agribusiness: How Local Businesses Are Feeding the World." More than 500 students, faculty, staff, and business professionals attended this first time event on campus.
The first program featured keynote Jim McKinstray, Grain Group, Vice President Central Merchandizing & Transportation for The Andersons Inc. A supply chain panel discussion was moderated by The Andersons’ manager of business and product development, Charlie Carr. Supply chain topics and experts included the following:
- Trucking – Mike Mitchell, Director, Strike Logistics and Bolt Express
- E-Fulfillment – Sandy Griffin, Wrap N’ Ship
- Logistics– Mike Nye, Director, The Andersons, Inc.
- Port Operations – Joe Cappel, Toledo-Lucas County Port Authority
- E-Logistics – Chris Marshall, CEO, BX Solutions
- Logistics - Dr. Hokey Min, James R. Good Chair of Global Strategy, BGSU
"Agribusiness: How Local Businesses Are Feeding the World" highlighted local entrepreneurs from the food processing industry who have a positive impact globally. These innovators told stories about their journey to success.
- Bill Hirzel - Hirzel Canning – known for the Dei Fratelli brand of sauces
- Chris & Linda Lane - Country Lane Barbeque – signature sauces include sweet apple pepper and pineapple chipotle
- Kirk Vashaw - Spangler Candy – best known for the Dum-Dum suckers
- Dan Anderson - The Anderson's, Maumee, OH - provides grocery and specialty food market along with five other major divisions in the agribusiness industry
Following the presentations, attendees sampled delicious food items supplied by the presenters’ companies.
The event ended with the announcement of the student entrepreneur finalists for "The Hatch" 2014. Click here to read who were named finalists and presenting their business ideas to a panel of alumni investors.
Global Entrepreneurship Week was presented by the College of Business and the Dallas-Hamilton Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership. Sponsors for both events included The Andersons Inc. and Regional Growth Partnership.
Please join us for 2014's events.