The Department of Popular Culture is located in a house ordered from Montgomery Ward & Company. Virgil H. Taylor erected the house in 1932. Montgomery Ward & Company published their last house catalog in 1931, raising the possibility that Virgil H. Taylor bought one of the last Montgomery Ward & Company houses. Bowling Green State University bought the building in 1937 to house the University President. A substantial addition was added to the rear of the house in 1949. In addition to being the president's house, various university offices have been located in the house, including the Alumni Association and the Graduate College. In the late seventies, the Department of Popular Culture moved into the house.