Application Questions and Answers

Admissions documents (high school, college, and university transcripts; GED diploma; Phi Theta Kappa verification; Student Conduct Form; etc.) should be sent directly to the Office of Admissions. AP score reports should be sent to Transfer Credit Evaluation.

Office of Admissions
110 McFall Center
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, OH 43403-0085

An official evaluation of your college credits will be performed after you have been admitted to BGSU. In the meantime, please visit the Transferology website to obtain estimates about how your courses will transfer. Generally, coursework completed at other accredited institutions for which you have earned a D or better and which is comparable to coursework in the BGSU curriculum is considered for transfer credit. Questions regarding transfer of credit from other institutions should be directed to Transfer Credit Evaluation, 419-372-7959.

A conversion to semester hours is done by multiplying the number of quarter hours earned/attempted by 0.67. The resulting number of semester hours will appear less than the number of quarter hours you have earned/attempted. However, students do not generally have to take additional classes when transferring to BGSU. Please be aware that in some situations it may be necessary to complete additional requirements in order to obtain the minimum number of hours required to graduate or to meet the requirements for specific degree programs.

The Ohio Board of Regents’ Transfer and Articulation Policy established the transfer module, which is a specific subset of the entire set of a college or university’s general education requirements. The transfer module contains 54-60 quarter hours (36-40 semester hours) of specified course credits in English composition, mathematics, fine arts, humanities, social science, behavioral science, natural science, physical science and interdisciplinary coursework.

A transfer module completed at one college or university will automatically meet the requirements of the transfer module at the receiving institution once the student is accepted. However, students may be required to meet additional requirements that are not included in the transfer module. Students planning to follow a transfer module should check with the appropriate college office at BGSU to verify that courses meet degree program requirements.

Yes. If you scored a 3 or better on your Advanced Placement (AP) subject tests you can receive college credit. Please see how AP credits are awarded at BGSU. To receive credit, please contact the CollegeBoard AP Program and have an official score report sent to the following address:

Transfer Credit Evaluation
115 Administration Building
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, OH 43403

No. Grades and grade point averages do not transfer. However, your previous college grades will be used to determine your eligibility for admission to BGSU as well as determine admission to select programs of study once you are a student at BGSU. Your previous college grade point average will also be used to determine eligibility for honors and rewards.

Once you receive your Certificate of Admission, you should immediately activate your MyBGSU account to begin the next steps in the enrollment process including applying for financial aid, registering for classes, and securing on-campus housing (if applicable). Please visit the Next Steps webpage for detailed information.

Current course requirements for your BGSU area of study can be found online through our course check sheets.

Once admitted to BGSU, you will schedule your classes at Student Orientation, Advising, and Registration (SOAR). Additional information on SOAR, including details on how to sign up, can be found on the SOAR website or by calling 419-372-0353.

See Scholarships & Financial Aid for information on financial aid and student employment. Specific questions about financial aid should be addressed to the Office of Student Financial Aid, 419-372-2651.

Students who earned a diploma from an Ohio high school and move back to Ohio to pursue a degree at BGSU are considered Ohio residents through the Forever Buckeyes program. All other students must establish residency in Ohio for twelve (12) consecutive months before being considered an Ohio resident. It is the student’s responsibility to indicate the proper state of residence at the time of registration. Information on Ohio residency requirements can be found online through the Office of Registration and Records. In some cases, the Residence Status Review Committee may request additional information as part of their official review. Questions should be directed to:

Office of Registration and Records
110 Administration Building
Bowling Green State University
Bowling Green, OH 43403
Phone: 419-372-8408

Undergraduate students are required to reside in University-owned housing as a condition of enrollment unless:

  • They are commuting daily from the home of their parents, guardians or spouse (within 50 miles of Bowling Green) –or–
  • They have attained junior level status –or–
  • They are over the age of 20 –or–
  • The Student is transferring to BGSU, has been out of high school for a minimum of two years, and has completed at least 12 credit hours at an accredited institution of higher education post high school graduation.
  • Additional exemptions can be found on the Residence Life Website

Applicants who initially request an on-campus residence, then decide to live off campus, must contact the Office of Residence Life to confirm their eligibility to cancel their housing reservation. Some requests to live off campus may require the student to fill out additional forms and provide evidence that they meet the selected criteria. Please contact the Office of Residence Life at 419-372-2011 or reslife@bgsu.edu for further information on this process.